1. James145

James145 New Member

Novel How to write a novel

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by James145, Oct 7, 2015.

Hello,
    I thought I would let you writers/authors know about this cool youtube video I found about writing novels:

In the video J.M. Perkins is featured. It really helped me out, and so in exchange I would like to share it with you!

Also, tell me what gets you motivated to continue writing. Basically, what is your "main" motivation to continue writing.

Imaginarily and ManOrAstroMan like this.
  2. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

If I don't write, the people in my head won't shut up. That's my motivation.

I'm not schizophrenic. It's just scenes and characters and events that randomly pop-up, and my mind goes on a field day with them, going on adventures without putting ink to paper. It's cliche, but it's very true for me. I had hiatuses in the past where I felt inadequate and insecure as a writer, so I would stop writing, feeling frustrated--only to pick it up again after six months.

I got tired of stopping and starting, so I changed my perspective from struggling artist to professional writer. For me, a professional writer must write within his chosen schedule. My schedule is to write every day, but I do give myself a one or two day break within the week. I'm treating it like it's my second job.

3. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

That's exactly how I do it.

1. Sit at computer.
    2. Open word processor.
    3. HNNNNGH.
    4. *poof!* :agreed:

sprirj and 123456789 like this.
  4. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Lol. Great video.

Now how I write:
    1) Sit at computer.
    2) Sit at computer.
    3) Sit at computer.
    4) Open Open Office.
    5) Sit at computer.
    6) Play random PC game.
    7) Spawn idea whilst playing.
    8) Write it down.
    9) Sit at computer.
    10) Repeat.

The 10 steps you need to be successful XD

Imaginarily likes this.
  5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

How I write a novel:

1. Go onto WF.org
    2. Browse potential threads where unsuspecting new members may share their prizewinning idea for a novel
    3. Steal prizewinning idea for novel
    4. create new username
    5. use new username to create threads asking for input on every possible detail for new novel and to annoy EdfromNY
    6. create another new username
    7.use new new username to start thread asking for a member to write my new fleshed out prizewinning idea for a novel in exchange for getting half the credit. I supply the idea (big picture, hard stuff) and they write the actual words (little picture, trivial stuff)
    8. sleep with hottest professional editor on Earth in exchange for free edit of novel
    9. repeat with literary agent and publisher

Mckk and Imaginarily like this.