1. RMitzelos

RMitzelos New Member

Unconventioal Relationships

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by RMitzelos, Dec 31, 2023.

I have a three some where a man and woman are in the BDSM lifestyle and another man who is their third is not. Can I make this work? The two men revolve around the woman and have no interest in each other sexually.

Thanks

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I don't see why not. The two are into BDSM, and they've brought the other man into their relationship for threesomes, but they haven't let him know about their basement equipment, because they're afraid it might scare him off. Or something like that.

3. RMitzelos

RMitzelos New Member

The vanilla guy knows about them. She is a dominant with a male submissive. He is a returning old lover. She cannot choose between the two. Not sure how to plot this or write this.

4. Xoic

I really don't see where there's a problem. It's a pretty standard love triangle, with BDSM. If there's a plotting problem, I don't think you've explained it here.

5. RMitzelos

RMitzelos New Member

Usually when I am working on something I research the crap out of it for ideas. But there are no stories like this other than as you said standard love triangle stories.

6. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

If the two men are not interested in each other, they would put all their attention on the woman and it could turn out to be a very pleasurable experience for her.

RMitzelos likes this.
  7. Xoic

Yeah, it doesn't seem like the BDSM changes anything at a plotting level, at least not from anything you've said about it in here (which isn't much—for a writer you seem exceptionally terse :D ).

But you haven't said anything at all about the plot, so it's impossible for us to tell. I'd say just look into love triangle plotting. The fact that two of them are into BDSM is just like a story where two people are into going to baseball games or collecting stamps for instance, but the third one isn't. He might get jealous at times of their shared world/connection that he isn't a part of, and maybe she'd need to reassure him that isn't the case, but maybe he still doesn't believe her, because they seem to understand each other at almost a telepathic level at times, and he isn't privy to that connection at all. Stuff like that. And maybe the other one sometimes regrets becoming her plaything, because it seems like she has more respect for the other guy. I would think of each relationship as contrast to the other one. In a way the story is a way of examining two different types of relationships, by comparing and contrasting them side by side, only the same woman is involved in both, and they take place with all three of them together at times. Does she sometimes do stuff with just one of the guys without the other one being there, and how jealous would the other guy get at those times? Is one of them more jealous by nature than the other? These are the kinds of things I'd be thinking about, and that could lead you to a good story idea.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That would seem to write itself. The erotic angle at least.

9. RMitzelos

RMitzelos New Member

Okay, sorry about being terse. The woman is a female Dom and club owner. One man is an unofficial submissive to the woman. He also is the head of her security. Then an past flame comes back and now the two men are rivals of each other for her. He is not into the seen but he has one kink that I am not sure he even realizes is one and that is he likes to watch. I think the problem I am having is how to create a relationship between the three of them when 2 are in the lifestyle and one is not quite. Not sure how to bring them together.

Xoic likes this.
  10. Xoic

Thanks for the explanation.
    It seems like that could be what makes it an interesting story, depending on how it's handled. There are several ways it could go (probably many)—maybe they try to convince him to try out the lifestye, and for a while he does—at the 'shallow end of the pool'—just some gentle stuff. But suddenly he 's done with itand ready to leave her completely. You could have her pay more attention to one man for a while, like maybe the old flame, trying to bring him into the lifestyle, and the other guy gets jealous, it almost ends their relationship, so she has to go to great lengths to reassure him and get his full trust back etc. You know, the stuff where it all hits the fan and it seems like all is lost, but through hard work and maybe a miracle or three she manages to fix things. Then the other guy gets jealous or something, and she has to work super hard to fix things tih him. And it would require a very different approach with each guy because of who they are, you know? Maybe she needs to really figure out how to soothe each one, how to bring him back in, and try to do it without hurting the other one. And maybe to do it she has to learn to bring out things inside herself she didn't know were there. Your typical growth arc, with two built-in disasters that almost destroy everything.

11. Xoic

Maybe the big turning point comes when the two men discover they share an unexpected interest. Something like the history of airplanes, or Victorian architecure, and there are lots of old victoian houses in the area to look at. Or maybe it's art, and they can go to museums and galleries together. And maybe if she doesn't share this interest, she's happy to go with them because they're all together now. Sorry, I know next to nothing about romance stories, maybe somebody else could help on that angle.

12. RMitzelos

RMitzelos New Member

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate the advice. I think that the vanilla character will only be mildly kink with the watching and not fully embrace bdsm. But somehow a thread will draw them all together.

Thank you for talking it helps me with my process.

Xoic likes this.