1. Denegroth

Denegroth Banned

I'm a terrible person, I ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Denegroth, Nov 27, 2016.

am always tempted to use a handicapped parking space. I even fantasize about obtaining one of those windshield cards.
    Once, I even plotted to make one of my own, but I was too lazy....

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

By all means, be tempted. But then resist temptation. It builds character. :)

3. S~A~W

S~A~W Banned

I...I...often drink straight out of the milk jug in the fridge.

Peper Shaker and matwoolf like this.
  4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm not in a wheelchair, but as a disabled man (half-blind and severely hearing-impaired), I feel compelled to tell you to please not do that. If you have working legs, you can walk to the store. Those spots are for people who can't walk.

jannert likes this.
  5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The spaces are for people with permits. As to their walking ability, that's nobody's business.

...although...saying that in all piety, if I did accidentally use the space, I might then adopt a limp.

'There goes our paralympian,' says the dad to his son, the pair out shopping. [Glint in my eye, you see, heroic features often mistaken for celebrity.]

Cave Troll and 123456789 like this.
  6. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

There's this urban myth that having bad thoughts makes you a terrible person. I don't trust people who don't have any terrible thoughts, there's no telling what they're capable of. Thinking things like this, and resisting them, that's what humanity needs more of.

... you monster!

7. Patsy

Patsy Member

I agree the temptation doesn't make you a terrible person - as long as you don't give in to it.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd never park in a handicapped space but as far as i'm concerned the parent and child spaces are fair game

9. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

There was a college (division 1 for those who follow such things) basketball player in town here a number of years ago (starter--good player) who got busted for using a handicapped sticker on his car so that he could park next to the arena and classroom buildings. Got suspended for a couple games. Seemed to elevate him to folk hero status to some, and was soundly derided (rightly so, in my book) by others. Some seem to admire those who break rules.

10. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

Well, at least you don't claim to kill people for a living.
    Damn, what the hell was that ?

Park somewhere reasonable and all will be OK.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  11. Neomar Dethron

Neomar Dethron New Member

You must fight the temptation. Just remember that the extra distance you have to walk is healthy, as you get energy from the sun. Energy that you wouldn't get if you took 3 seconds to walk from the handicap parking to your destination

12. Link the Writer

In short, don't do it. If your legs work, you can walk the extra few feet to the store. Don't give into the overly-entitled sentiments, OK?

jannert likes this.
  13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Is this really a thing? I've never seen this.

I live in Puerto Rico. No one seems to be bothered by parking rules. You know that wide yellow striped area you'll see in front of some buildings that says NO PARKING FIRE LANE in giant yellow letters? You'll find it completely blocked by parked cars here, with the rest of the parking lot nearly empty because lazy fucking sods can't be arsed to walk an additional few paces.

This, just in case it's different in the UK....

[​IMG]

(the above example is clearly not in Puerto Rico)

14. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

The closest I've seen are the "expectant mother" spots. Of which, rest assured, my wife and I have been taking advantage.

15. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Fire lanes sure, but parent and child spots and expectant mother spots? First time hearing of such things.

My friend's mother had a couple of serious knee surgeries and had a pass. We always joked about using it because it was always in the car but we never did because that would be ridiculous haha I typically park farther away.

16. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

In the US, I believe that parking there will get you PROMPTLY cited and towed. I don't think it's that people are better behaved, just that the punishment is quick and fairly likely.

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    A friend of my mother's was born with a club hand. In my home state, steering wheel spinner knobs:

[​IMG]

are illegal unless you have a medical need. Although there was nothing else wrong with him physically or mentally, he had a legitimate medical need, but the way the laws were written at that time, the state had to issue him handicapped plates.

He said that he only used the handicapped spots when he was feeling particularly tired. :)

18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't get it. I park in the first open spot and appreciate the minimal effort of exercise I get from walking from my parking spot to the store. I also appreciate not driving around wasting time looking for a spot. Good grief, what are we talking about here, a hundred yards? Two hundred?

xanadu and jannert like this.
  19. Link the Writer

What if someone who is handicapped needs it? Good shitting Lord, folks, is it THAT hard to simply leave those spots for people who actually need it? Considering our stereotype, we can very well do with the exercise; I don't mind walking half the parking lot to the store.

jannert likes this.
  20. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

This thread is kinda interesting in the light of the events of the past days: Maybe it should be "I'm a terrible person, I make forum accounts for my imaginary friends and then use the extra account to support my imaginary authority." I mean, it's the same terrible person on this thread who wants to steal parking spots and drinks milk out of the carton...

jannert and Iain Aschendale like this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, I was thinking: I'm a terrible person, but at least I'm the only version of myself in the thread.

Wreybies and BayView like this.
  22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just noticed that. I was suspicious, but not sure. Good riddance. Honestly. Haven't folks got better things to do with their day?

BayView likes this.
  23. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think it usually comes down to ego, or maybe intellectual laziness? People create sock puppets to agree with them because no one else will and they don't want to take the trouble to examine their posts and see if there's a reason no one agrees.

But, that's a little serious for this thread, maybe. I'm a terrible person because I over-analyze internet misbehaviour and try to draw deeper truths from it.

bonijean2 likes this.
  24. Link the Writer

In any event, if you use a handicapped parking lot and you yourself have no trouble walking, you're an asshole and the embodiment of the American stereotype.

25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Maybe its just in the uk - the theory is that parents with children need more space to get their sprogs in and out of the car, which is fair enough I suppose. I don't generally park in them unless there are no other spaces free.

Of course some people are just arseholes about it :D

[​IMG]

Wreybies likes this.