Tags:
  1. Daemura-Darkhide

Daemura-Darkhide New Member

First Chapters

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Daemura-Darkhide, May 16, 2017.

Hi All,

I am writing a fantasy based novel in set in the medievil age and I am wanting to get a good starting chapter to boot the whole thing off.

I am unsure what tense to write it in as it is past tense at the start when i introduce a couple of characters inc. my main protagonist.

Any tips and ideas i would really appreciate :)

Many Thanks

Daemura

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Hey Daemura-Darkhide! Welcome to the site!

A couple things:

If you've already started in past tense, you could just stick with it, unless you have a reason to switch to present-tense. Which feels more natural to you? In other books that you enjoy, do the authors use mostly present or past-tense? There are are pros and cons to each tense and sometimes there are more cons to present-tense, but that depends on your audience/genre.

As for wanting to get a good start...

I wouldn't worry too much about making it perfect, especially if this is your first novel. No matter how perfect you make it, it will likely change, probablu dramatically.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

3. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

For fantasy, I always say past tense is best. I also dislike present tense, but mostly because it gets tricky to write sometimes and easy to make errors. I know people that do like it, and prefer to read it, but I still say it's not best used in fantasy.

Starting is a tricky part, and as Spencer said, it is probably going to change as you write anyway. Start at the most important part that introduces either your protagonist or antagonist to the story itself.

4. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

Past tense is my preference, but with a present tense feel:

Max leaned against the storefront and looked at his watch again. In the distance, a car's engine roared. Tires squealed as the car sped around the corner. A figure with an automatic rifle emerged from the passenger's window. Gunfire erupted. Max fell to his knees as bullets smashed the building behind him. Shattered glass pattered upon the pavement. He thought they missed until he saw the blood.

As for starting, I'm a plotter. I would create an outline first. Spend some time with an outline, then fill-in the outline with scenes. I try to see the story as a movie transitioning from one scene to the next.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Past tense is fine, especially if it's what you're comfortable with.

With the first chapter, if possible don't start with 'a day in the life' to introduce the setting and character, unless something happens that throws that 'routine' off and can draw the reader in. Doesn't have to be something like a massive conflict, or someone dying.

Check out some fantasy novels that are similar to what you hope to write, and see how those authors started...where they started in the story with the first chapter. That said, it's important to write and get the first draft completed. You can always go back and revisit the first chapter--if it's the best starting point or making some other modification...maybe start earlier in the story or later, even. Just know that what you write today in the first draft of the first chapter will not remain exactly the same after you complete subsequent drafts/revisions.