1. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

What should I write?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Patrick94, Sep 18, 2011.

I'm not stuck for ideas, but for which ones to use. I don't know what genre to write, and I can't get myself into any specific one as I'd have to be fully focused. I can write short stories, but I don't know what to do for a novel, so I was hoping a helpful prod from someone here will help me start. I'd write anything, the only thing you'd need to know is that I'm 16. Any suggestions?

Don't think this is uncreative, I just need a push in the 'write' direction! :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you aren't passionate about an idea for a novel, especially your first one, forget it for now. You won't finish. Wait until you have an idea that demands to be written, and for which a short story just won't do it justice.

3. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

Good thinking, thanks :) I'll just plough on with the short stories so until the time's right :)

4. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

When the novel you're supposed to write comes, you will know it. You won't be able to forget it. After a failed attempt, I never thought that I could successfully write a novel. Then an idea came, and later another, and another, and another. The novel will come to you if you're meant to write it. It might come during an insomnia episode or after an intense movie or book. Just be on the lookout cause you just never know when it'll come crashing in.

5. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Like Cogito and Show said, once that big idea comes around, you'll know. In the meantime, try not to sweat it too much - write short stories, experiment with styles and genres, and have fun. If you take your writing too seriously, you'll just stress yourself out, and it won't be enjoyable. And, who knows, maybe you'll get some grand novel idea while you're practicing your technique. Or maybe you'll decide that you're content with writing short stories, which is all well and good, too. You never know.

1 person likes this.
  6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If you need a push, it's already a lost cause.

7. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Why do we need to know you're 16? Age has nothing to do with the level of dedication, or writing ability, you'll have.

If you've got lots of ideas floating around, and are stuck on which one to pick, write them all down and see if there's a combination of several that you can use in one story. Most novels have subplots, or multiple problems encountered by the MC.

8. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah just like many people said above, write whatever demands you to write it. Ideas will crash and burn if your not passion-able about it.

9. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I'd quit trying to find a direction, just sit down and write. I mean this in the most basic sense...sit down and just start writing whatever is in your head eventually your brain will choose a course for you. In answer to your question "What should I write?": sentences.

1 person likes this.
  10. jimr

jimr New Member

My personal opinion is that you should write about a 16 year old young man who smokes pot and gets good grades nonetheless, but argues constantly with his father; his mother being caught in the middle. In the summer after a huge arguement regarding his piercings and his attitude the young man hitchhikes from his home in Omaha to Knoxville, Kentucky, where a 15 year old girl he met on the web lives (this is an impulsive act and he is planning on returning home). Unfortunately the girl is not a girl at all, but a 55 year old molester. The molester attempts to rape the young man, and the young man believes he kills him by bashing him with a bust (he never really finds out if he killed him for sure and this initially causes him a mixed sense of vengence and guilt). In hitchhiking home, the young man is arrested in Indiana, as his father has reported him a runaway. His experiences and travails on the road have been arduous and he realizes he is actually a bit releived to have been picked up. While waiting for his father to drive to Indianapolis, the young man has a long heart-to-heart with a counseler where he is being held and this helps him sort things out a bit. On the drive home with his father they both offer restrained apologies and renew their familial bonds. The real culmination is the heart wrenching last scene where he promises his mother he will never do anything so foolish again, and things are going to be different. Sub plots: 1) The young man is stranded outside Dayton for two days without being picked up, and becomes part of an impromptu hitchhiker group. 2) He steals a meal from a restaurant 3) A retired engineer who picks him up regales him with stories of Guatemala and gives him $50. 4) He attends church on a Sunday just to get inside some place and has a minor meaningful experience in the company of worshippers 75K words Title: DANNY BLACK (Which is the young man's name).

Or if you don't like that, maybe something with aliens who hibernate during centuries-long space trips.

11. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I agree with everyone else,
    You can't force it.

Basically you should write in the genre you read most. Because that is a good sign that is what interests you.

Keep reading and writing and when the right story comes to mind you'll know it.

SS keeps the mind focused, it offers satisfaction of completing something which for a full length novel can take some time.

12. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

Don't know what to write but feel the need to write?
    My best advice at this point would be to run, run, run,
    or jog, jog, jog. By the time your head has emptied all
    of the unneccesary thoughts from it, sparks of inspiration
    will then filter in by way of thoughts, feelings, or pictures.
    By the time the run is over and you are exhilaratingly exhausted,
    you will know what to write. Sometimes our pipes need to be cleared.

13. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

Got a surprising amount of help here, thanks to all :) And you'd need to know I'm (only) 16 to know I haven't experienced what an adult has experienced, it'd be harder for me to write about a guy at work, living in the city etc now than in 10 years, but it'd be easier than in 10 years for me to write about a guy in school because it's still fresh to me