1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Do You Gossip?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Sep 4, 2008.

I am a terrible gossip and it gets me into some terrible trouble sometimes. But then, I have found out some things that have proved useful by gossip sometimes. What do you think of it?

2. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Gossip has been responsible for large amounts of crappiness in my life. Believe me, it's not harmless.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Gossip and rumors make my life crappy.
    That is why I don't gossip or create rumors.
    And I hate both.

4. Heather Louise

Ow I know it isn't harmless, I have had some horrible things spread about me from time to time. But I cannot help it, if someone has something interesting to tell me about someone else, I love to pass it on. I am horrible like that.

And I must say, because of gossip I found out that one of my boyfriends was more interested in my mate and planning on getting with her while he was still with me, which saved me a lot of embaressment. I also found out that some lies had been spread about me, and managed to sort it out with some people, which again, proved helpful.

5. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I never gossip, actually. I find it kind of ridiculous and immature.
    And a waste of my time.
    I mean don't get me wrong, I'll talk about situations surrounding people that are true.
    But I don't badmouth anyone. I've never once spread a rumor - and I've never had one spread about me thankfully.

6. Heather Louise

Ow no, I don't mean rumour spreading. I mean, passing on something about someone that is definatly true, and that they have let people know, and you are just keeping it in circulation.

Like this lass in my year slept with this lad, and he has told people, and she was telling people, but now she is shocked that everyone knows. I mean, that is what happens if you go talking about it in the middle of your Art lesson.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nah, I don't gossip, but Guess what! I heard Myrtle telling Gracie that you do.

8. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Yes, there is a difference between talking and gossip. It's just sometimes so hard to find the line between them. If I know something that's important to somebody I'll usually tell that person only, but other than that most things I hear stay with me.

9. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Oh I see. Well someone else mentioned rumors so I thought I'd add that in as well.
    Gossip and rumors usually end up crossing paths.

As far as spreading something truthful about somebody else that is bad, I don't do that either.
    It isn't any of my business to be sharing other peoples personal lives unless I'm told to do so by said person.
    I have this huge respect issue -- I won't do anything to disrespect anybody unless they honestly deserve it.

10. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Gossip can be both harmful and not even if unintentional.
    I don't gossip at all unless the subject of the gossip allows/wants it.

11. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

I never gossip but I have a great nack of getting people to tell me what they shouldnt. I hold onto it, in case i need a favour later.........

Nah, im not that evil, but people do tell me alot of things I probably shouldnt know!

12. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I try my best not to participate in gossip. I'm careful not to talk about people behind their backs. It's not fair to them.

There is only one person I am not afraid to talk **** about, and it's an ex boyfriend of mine. Not only does he bad mouth all his friends behind their backs anyway, but he was also the worst thing to ever happen to me. I feel like I've earned the right. Any damage that I do to him is well-deserved, and is only a drop compared to the ocean of hurt he caused me.

Yeah, that guy totally sucks.

13. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Well, I'm pretty good with secrets. Unless I really don't like that person. And when I find something out about them, it's sooo much fun to make jokes about it...It's mean, but quite entertaining.

14. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm a gossip sponge... People tell me all sorts, but I don't pass it on. And now, I have enough material to blackmail a lot of people, should the need arise.

I get the feeling I'd do well in politics :p

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

My sister is one of the biggest gossip mongers I've ever known. Seriously!

I don't gossip. I hate people, so why would I want to talk about people? meh!

I think if you gossip, it just means that you aren't able to find anything better to talk about, so you just gossip. It's pointless and in the end, causes you more trouble than it is worth. Gossip turns to rumour, because facts are always changed.

16. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Yeah my ex-best friend used to be pretty good at gossiping. It was like she lived just to find some little thing about somebody so that she could hate them or say bad things about them.
    Which is partially why she's my ex-best friend.

17. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I hate gossip, and i hate the kind of people that gossip, they annoy me and bore me to the point i wanna jump in front of a large fast moving object.

Unless its Entertainment Tonight, thats allowed (im allowed to have a dumb 30 minutes every day)

18. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

So glad I am not the only one that feels that exact same way. I have sat and contemplated it a number of times... especially whilst 'stuck' in a room with my sister, mother and aunt, who were all gossiping. I seriously could 'not' get past them. In the end I had to climb through the window...

19. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Listening to females gossip makes me want to rip my hair out and eat it.
    But I've always gotten along better with guys.

20. Saruman

Saruman New Member

I try not to gossip, I don't want anyone to gas about me and so I try not do it about anyone else. It can cause pain and some cases much worse. Some people think that weapons like guns etc are deadly and we should disarm. If we disarmed peoples mouths I think that there would a lot less pain.

21. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

heh, you see im in a crap position with gossip. Im going out with a women 7 years older then me and she had a child when she young, and well the girls 13 now and gossip is all she knows, and sadly i think im a rolemodel for herand if im in view she runs up to me and all i hear is gossip, gossip "kill me", gossip, gossip lol

Gossip = materialistic, "hey can i have some money", greedy, its all about me, teenage girls. OR Grandparents (go figure)

NOTE - except the ones that are on here *ough* no really.

22. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I do gossip. Everyone does. But I do think I probably gossip more than the average person. I can't help it, I like to speculate about interesting potential events going on with the people around me. Yes, that's my justification and I'm stickin' to it. :)

23. lessa

lessa New Member

People tell me things and the only person I tell is Don.
    Used to tell my sons but that was only to keep them from hanging around
    the wrong type of people.
    Have had too much gossip spread about myself and my family.
    things like
    My husband beats me.
    I had an affair with my brother in law.
    Raymond is not Don's son.
    none of which are true but sure can't tell gossipers that.
    I do not even like the entertainment shows telling of the star's lives.
    Just seems so stupid or trivial.
    go out and get a life of your own.

24. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Well I’ll be honest I use to be a bad gossip, I still allow myself to do it every now and again. A human trait one can’t void altogether I suppose. I don’t think it’s a very good thing and I tend to feel guilty when I do gossip after all it would hurt if some one was doing the same behind my back. The recoil when gossip gets to the person who was the one being gossiped about is hurtful it can destroy friendships and break trust.

25. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I dislike gossip no end. It actually infuriates me, for a lot of different reasons. Gossip serves to create and/or change a person's opinion of someone else, without that person being given the opportunity to have any input. For that reason alone, I never make any kind of judgements on a person as a result of hearsay - in fact, I generally tend to think less of the person that's doing the gossiping, than who they're gossiping about.

That might sound a little harsh, but I feel pretty strongly on this subject.