1. AuntyKipper

AuntyKipper New Member

Dialogue, a critique from my daughter

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by AuntyKipper, Mar 15, 2016.

Hi,
    I'm new here and writing to introduce myself but have just had my daughter watching me write and challenge me that I have too much dialogue, which they are 'not allowed' at school.
    So my question is 'how much is too much?'
    Aunty Kipper

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I hear some really weird things about how creative writing is taught in school.

There is no black and white rule here. For a start, it will vary from reader to reader. I love dialogue, and I get bored with page after page of narrative. Others prefer narrative. Dialogue generally quickens the pace of a story, so what works in one (like a thriller) might not work in another (like a literary coming-of-age).

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. When you've met the requirements, post some of your writing in the workshop and people will tell you if the balance is right for them.

And welcome!

3. AuntyKipper

AuntyKipper New Member

Thnks Tenderiser for the comment, and for the welcome.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I'll second @Tenderiser with how writing is taught.

Especially the "not allowed" bit. I can remember being taught "never" to use and or I. But with writing, there is no "never", only a "be careful of how often you do it".

My WIP is currently at a stage where I've probably got too much dialogue, not enough action and description. I'll worry about the balance when I've got a first draft completed, and I can see how the whole thing stacks up.

AuntyKipper likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There's no such thing as too much, or too little. It's a stylistic choice, and either a lot of dialogue or a little can be done well. You can find stories that are almost all dialogue and some that have hardly any.