1. destinationless

destinationless New Member

Question

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by destinationless, Sep 25, 2008.

After reading each FAQ about reviewing, I still have one question left unanswered (or perhaps I missed the answer):

It's understood that the ratio of reviews to submitted works is 2:1, but I am wondering if that pertains to the Review Room as a whole, or is it 2:1 on each individual forum?
    For instance, if I wanted to put an essay up for review, should I be reviewing two different essays, or could I review a poem and an essay to meet that 'requirement'? I realize reviewing essays before submitting an essay is probably the most -logical- step, but is it the rule?

I enjoy reviewing others' work however (whether I'm good at providing a review is still debatable), so maybe I wont even need an answer, but, to be on the safe side, it'd be great if someone would respond.

-D

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

For the review room as a whole...

3. destinationless

destinationless New Member

Many thanks, Etan! :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, the process is more important than on what genre you employ it. You may find you benefit more by responding to work in the same genre as yours, or you may find it more useful to spread yourself over reviewin many different kinds of writing.

The 2:1 is the minimum ratio that Daniel established for the site. I submit that the greater the ratio you manage, the faster your own writing will improve. But I wholeheartedly endorse critiquing a wide variety of writing styles.