1. Tomaz

Tomaz New Member

The Difference a Laptop Makes...

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Tomaz, Sep 15, 2009.

I got myself a laptop a couple of weeks ago in preparation for University, and it seems to have confirmed to me what I’ve always suspected. The mobility of a laptop really seems to help with writing!

As mine is very compact and has a very decent battery life, I’ve just started taking it all over the place with me. I’ve found writing so much easier than it has been in the past. A change of scenery really seems to help with the flow of things. I know it’s awful to never really want to actually write with a pen and paper, but I’ve been like that for years - so getting a laptop has been a very liberating experience in terms of how I write.

I’m now in America for a week or so, and here especially I’ve got so much done!

Does anyone else agree that the mobility of laptop can make a huge difference to the flow of writing? I don’t think I’ll ever go back to working at my desktop! :rolleyes:

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I’ve had my new laptop for a week and don’t know how I ever got by without it.

3. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I like writing on location, so for me its a MUST.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

No, because I'm a hermit, but I do love the way my laptop keys feel.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also consider a digital voice recorder. Smaller than many MP3 players, you can use it for quick notes on ideas you have wherever you are, or even to dictate a few pages worth of story. If it has a USB interface, you can even read it into your laptop with a speech to text program.

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I love my laptop for writing, but I still enjoy writing with pen and paper. I must have at least 30+ legal pads stored in boxes. When I write on paper, I type it all out later and keep the handwritten work. I should probably throw them away, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.

As for a desktop computer, I gave mine to my son. I just don't use it.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I love having a laptop. I can write pretty much anywhere and anytime. Before a laptop, I was jotting stuff down in random notebooks. With a laptop, all my writing is in one place. Plus, if I really want, I can write during class.

8. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

How much would that kind of thing cost, with the speech program and all?

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The recorders range from $25 to over $200. I saw a really good one for about $150 at the store last weekend. It had an extra USB slot for extra space and seemed pretty reliable.

10. It can be distracting but a laptop is awesome for writing

11. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I've been wanting a laptop for a while now, as my pc is quite old and having the mobility of a laptop would greatly encourage my writing, rewriting, and just general organization of all my scrap notes. Plus I wouldn't have to sit, as I have a back injury that inhibits long periods of sitting. Until then I got my pad and pen.

12. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I don't bring my laptop w/me to school -- too heavy w/my other stuff. I really want to get a netbook soon, though. That size & weight I could manage.

13. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Yes I have bee eying the Dell netbooks, as I would only use it to write. I best be saving my scant pennies.

14. p.sawyer

p.sawyer New Member

i'm completely the opposite. i have to write using a notebook and pen, and i usually re-draft everything at least once before i even think about typing it up. i'm not a techno-phobe, i don't have a fear of computers and am very competent on them, but i'm quite old-fashioned in my ways despite only being 22.

i don't have a laptop, i use the desktop computer we all share. eventually i would like to invest in my own laptop, possibly in the near future so i can have everything of mine together ready for when i move out, but even then i will still always write with my good old pen and paper.

i love buying notebooks with pretty covers, and i love hand-writing. i write so much better that way, and i think it completes my experience of writing. writing using my computer is very official and objective to me. i do it for essays for university, so it reminds me of the conformity of education. whereas with a pen and paper i feel as though i have a lot more freedom.​

15. MacGuffin

MacGuffin New Member

I stood on my laptop and cracked the screen :(

But I'm looking to get a netbook thingy... they're almost as small as a Game Gear now. And with better batter life.

Great for my fat hands. Hope it will come with a dialling wand.

16. Syne

Syne Member

Why did you stand on your laptop exactly? :p

I have a laptop, but I can't write outside, or anywhere with people around. Makes me far too nervous. The only way I can write is barricade myself inside my room and just sink into another world.

But laptops are useful in general. I don't know why I'd do without mine.

17. tonten

tonten Active Member

bleh I'm unique. The only scenary I can write in is at home or at work - in both cases, I don't need a laptop.

If I go out for coffee with friends or such, on vacation, I would want to enjoy it. If an idea comes along, I jot it down on paper or make a mental note.

18. Fiel

Fiel New Member

Writing, the main reason (excuse?) I bought my laptop. It's convenient and encouraging to have one. I usually turn on the music & open some pictures to instill/encourage inspiration while writing. I don't put much game in it as to reduce the possible distraction.

Laptop, don't know what to do without one. :D

19. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

Oh god, you guys are killing me! -doesn't have a laptop but will soon-
    I hope I experience the same wonderful liberation that has happened to you. ;]

Writing with pen and paper for the last two months has nearly depleted my sanity reserves.

20. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I totally agree that laptop and a change of scenery is a great thing! I got stuck in the middle of writing one day, and I pulled out the old dusty Compaq and sat in a different room, and the words flowed...that is until I got the message of doom and a blank screen. haha

21. seta

seta New Member

I got my Mac mini almost 3 years ago now but I don't think I'll ever by another desktop. Laptops only for simple fact that it's an "all-in-one" computer. Big bulky dinosaurs are a thing of the past for me.