Tags:
  1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Is this actually a thing, or have I just read it in a fantasy novel somewhere?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Stormsong07, Jan 12, 2019.

OK, you know in the movies and stuff when a big flying beast is about to land and it changes how it's flapping it's wings from a down-and-up pattern to a sort of back and forth motion?

Like here in this video at the 0:44-46 second mark.

Am I just making this up, or is "The dragon backwinged to a landing" a legit thing I can use in my writing? Google Docs keeps telling me "backwinged" isn't a word.
    I'm just concerned that maybe some other author coined it and I don't want to get in trouble for using it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Stormburn and jim onion like this.
  2. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

I think you can just say landed. Like, in the Song of Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones etc), I'm pretty sure when a dragon lands on something that's just the word that is used. You can safely let the reader's imagination do the work. But if you use a word like "backwinged" there's a risk you'll pull the reader out of their immersion and remind them that somewhere there was an author desperately seeking the technical term for a flying creature landing. :p

Stormsong07 and jim onion like this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

A Google really only gave me a Wiktionary article that recognized the word, and some pictures (one on DeviantArt for example) titled "Backwinging Dragon". So as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be an official word. No entries in online versions of Webster or anything official like that.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/backwing#English

The only other option would be to describe the action I guess.

If you search "backwinging duck" or "goose", it seems to be relatively common parlance in some niche communities.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"the dragon flared its wings for landing" - big birds do it all the time, you watch a buzzard or an eagle land they turn their wings to act as airbrakes to cut their forward momentum

Alan Aspie, Matt E, Stormburn and 3 others like this.
  5. Midge23

Midge23 Active Member

You could say the dragon ‘flared’ its wings. Flared = broaden, widen, spread. A plane or helicopter ‘flares’ before landing.

jim onion and Stormsong07 like this.
  6. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Ah, flared. Yes, that ought to do it and avoid any problems. Thank you all for your input!

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor