1. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Language trouble

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by pinelopikappa, Oct 2, 2009.

I read a lot on this forum, and I really wish to participate with reviews.
    I do have something to say about what I read but I don't dare, mainly because english isn't my first language. So I have no faith whatsoever in my actual grammar or syntax opinions, constantly dreading putting my foot in my mouth!

Translation: I don't want to sound like a total idiot, abusing the english language and all it's rules.

I know there are more people like me in here, so how do you review english texts without being english-speaking? It has become an issue for me:redface:

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

You might not have a solid grasp on the technicalities of writing in English, but there are more than enough people on here who do, so contribute in what other ways you can - things like character development, plot, imagery, flow...all of those things are vital to writing and don't necessitate a perfect understanding of rules of grammar etc. In my opinion, spelling and grammar are the very least of a writer's issues, so I wouldn't get hung up on those...the're the kinds of things that are either right or wrong, but the other things I mentioned require much more thought, and your review would be put to better use focussing on them, rater than on Sp&G.

3. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Good point, very encouraging:)
    I'll give it try. These aspects are common in all languages, and it's good practice for writing anyway. Besides, even reviewing a bad review is a good thing (...:confused:), or something:D

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

All points of view should be welcomed by the authors here at the site. It is wonderful to have people from different cultures and different languages participating and giving their personal points of view! Do not worry too much that your English is not perfect. I applaud you that you wish to come and join in the fun. :D

5. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Coupla thoughts: While I know you don't want to use your ESL status as a whiny excuse, you could put a comment below your signature to indicate what you said so well (especially) in your first paragraph above.

Second is with respect to that dreadful feeling of putting your foot in your mouth. Know that everyone and anyone who calls him/herself a writer has had that very same feeling. If I point out to you that the word English must always be capitalized and that "it's" is not possessive (s/b "its" without the apostrophe), that's because I don't know if you're aware of that and not because I want to embarrass you. And, while you may not believe it, the truth is that none of that diminishes my respect for you as a writer, a person, or a forum participant. I base my assessment upon your very clear aim to learn something here and your courage to participate in order to do so.

So, relax, participate, take your lumps along with the rest of us, and do what you have to do to learn something. I imagine you'll be pleased to find out how well that works;).

6. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Thank you for your comments and every correction is more than welcome. I have no problem at all being corrected! I welcome every little thing because it makes me better. I am one of those people that fell in love with the English language and all its beauty after reading its litterature. Greek is still my great love but hey, I can have an affair with a foreign beauty, right?:cool:

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. Yes you can. This is the stuff of great romance novels, no? ;)

8. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

pinelopikappa, don't worry about the finer points of the language. From what I've seen, you have a greater grasp of the English language than many people I meet on a day-to-day basis in America! Make your reviews and comments based on what you see and percieve. Not one of us here is perfect and anyone's opinions are nothing more than one person's thoughts, perceptions, and opinions, anyway. And we all, sooner or later, will say something that in no way relates to an author's intent for his or her work - so we all look foolis at one time or another.
    It's all about your personal response to a piece. Give your impressions. Discuss why you believe there is a problem or why you believe a passage works exceptionally well. For the rest ... you can always just say, "It's Greek to me!"

9. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Thank you!:)

10. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

English is my second language as well and I've made myself look a fool many times on this forum, but I've learned too much while being here to be concerned about such details. Few other places give you a chance like this to write freely and get almost instant feedback on it. It's worth gold.

Also, the insecurity that stems from not being a native speaker can be a strength if it makes you try harder. In the realm of language we can be the immigrants who rise to great wealth because we got something to prove. :)

11. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Real translation: if something works well for you, or fails to work, then it's something more than grammar or syntax rules (that a sub-editor could sort out anyway), but is something fundamental and probably important, which the author could really do with hearing.

12. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

It can always be a chance for you to learn as well :) Plenty of other things to comment on that isn't SPaG. Don't let it hold you back. It would be worse to say nothing as long as what you're offering isn't totally ridiculous. Which, from the likes of things, wouldn't be.

Best, Whiskey

13. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Thank you all for the encouraging and helpful comments. I have already gained so much by participating here. It's one of those things that make me say: long live the internet!