1. MVP

MVP Member

Your most productive work

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MVP, Apr 4, 2012.

What circumstances seem to give you, your most productive writing sessions?

Productive as in you wrote a section of a work, and you actually like it, and you can feel it moved your project forward.
    Circumstances as in, where were you perched.
    This question is not what you imagine your best writing situation to be, but out of your own experience, its the surroundings that manifested your best writing, outside of what you always felt as a comfort zone.

For example, if you asked me what i think is my best environment for writing, i'd say quiet, calm and in the evening. But when I get my best work done, I'm in the most uncomfortable places, like sitting in the middle of the family room, late afternoon, while someone else has the news blaring, or sitting in a cafe with annoying people all around me, yapping on phones, etc. Maybe its the surrounding annoyances that trigger moods, I dunno. But what I do know is that what my mind thinks is a good situation for writing, is obviously incongruent to the truth.

So how about you?

2. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

The key for me is not having any distractions once I get going or built up a train of thought.

3. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I do seem to get some of my best writing done in class and at work between customers. You know, when I absolutely shouldn't be writing. Though to be honest I don't see a big gap in quality between the different writing situations. I'm pretty consistent.

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

My guess is that this question pertains to writing. I'm finding that more often (lately) I work the best when the house is quiet and dark and my wife wife and the mutts have gone to bed.

What baffles me is that this isn't a uniform theme. If I sharpen, it depends on what I'm working on. Even high end folders don't seem to require quiet or music, and I can use both to advantage. Expensive Japanese folded chef knives require total concentration.

But then, detailing the bikes, yikes, the music could be blaring! I could be having a conversation with my wife or friends. One time I did it late at night on July 4th.

I'm answering this thread doing laundry, stopping to do some folding every once in a while.

Each task might have some degree of concentration to complete. It appears that I personally am the transient factor.

5. NeedMoreRage

NeedMoreRage New Member

When I have some solid ideas, I have nothing distracting me, and I'm fairly sleepy, I'm most productive.

6. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Can be anytime, anywhere. I mostly write in my couch on the living room (or my second room, as my mom calls it, because I really spend the whole day in the computer on said room) but I don't feel uncomfortable to write with noise or something that normally disturb other people -- because I get into this really focused state where I can write 1,000 words in twenty minutes and really get lost into my work.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Right now I work (day job) at home, which isn't optimal. I was most productive when I worked in an office. The work day would start around 8:30 or 9 in the morning, but I made it a point to get there at 5 am. I'd be the only one there - the only one in the entire building, I think - and I'd have a minimum of three hours of concentrated time all by myself. I'd put on a pot of coffee and write. I got a lot done.

I miss those days.

8. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Most productive? When I'm not supposed to be writing. If I'm in training, at work, in a car, etc, that's when I get the most and best done.

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

it used to be late nights when I could sit by the computer for hours, but nowadays it's when I have the morning off and start working around 13 or later, what I write in the mornings is a lot better than the evening stuff I think.

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I get my best work done when I regularly sit down and make myself write. I focus, visualise the stage in the story I am at, and keeping the background plan in mind as well as the research, I just write the damn thing. But it always works best when I'm at my desk, and alone in the house (except for my doggies, who are cool and aren't much of a distraction usually).

11. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

First thing in the morning when my mind and body are rested. I can get more done with two hours in the monring than four or five hours later in the day. Of course if I wait until later in the day I rarely can find even two hours because I allow other concerns to get in the way.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it doesn't matter where, or when, or how i write, or what i write with... i don't feel any difference in my ability to turn out good work and don't see any difference in the material turned out... thanks to whatever blessed/cursed me with a penchant for wordwork, writing to me is as effortless and as necessary to life as breathing...

13. Traskatter

Traskatter New Member

I find myself being most productive between 9am and 2pm! I just get so inspired to write when it's bright outside!

14. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

The time i get the most of my work done is really late at night.. like 3 in the morning...