1. lsking

lsking New Member

AP Style

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by lsking, Dec 17, 2007.

Howdy All!

I have recently been working on graduate work and following MLA and APA style guidelines. Suddenly, I need to know AP style. Help. When submitting articles to editors, does one still submit manuscripts double spaced, one space after the end of the sentence, one inch margins, etc? Any decent resources that you would suggest?

:confused:

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Here is a link I found that might come in handy. http://www.saskpublishers.sk.ca/publication/manuscriptsubmit.shtml I litterally just searched subbmitting work to publishers on Google and loads of links come up so it might be worth your time taking a look yourself. Apart from that though I wouldn't have a clue I'm afraid, Lsking. Sorry.
    Heather

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

here's the best ms format guide on the web: William Shunn : Manuscript Format

you don't really want to use APA, unless you're writing for scientific journals... same goes for the MLA, unless you're writing for research papers and their ilk... ditto for the CMS, unless you're going into journalism...

for creative writing of all kinds, all you need is a strunk & white 4th ed. [the writer's bible] and a good punctuation guide for style and technicalities... with those and bill shunn's format guides, you'll be all set to turn out professional level-looking mss [writing quality aside ;-) ]...

and here's a handy grammar guide, if you need one: Lynch, Guide to Grammar and Style

love and hugs, maia

4. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

I personally like MLA, although I might be a little bit influenced by six years of indoctrination in that school of thought. Having said that, I don't follow MLA to the tee when I when I write creatively because some things either 1.) don't lend themselves to creativity or 2.) simply are unnecessary when writing creatively. I guess you could say I use a modified MLA approach.

I've found some things in Strunk & White that are at odds with kosher MLA style.

I've seemed to have lost my edition of Strunk & White. :( I really do need to find it again.