1. embsidney20

embsidney20 New Member

Help on all three types of development please!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by embsidney20, Jun 18, 2014.

I have the "skeleton" for my idea all ready to work from and have planned for a trilogy so far, but there is the option of more if I want to.

I have reached three long chapters, and I enjoy it when I get going, how things sound are good to me and I really get a little roll on. However, when I stop and read back I suddenly don't like what I've done anymore, which always ends up with me deleting everything. I have heard that this is incredibly common but I'm at a loss and help from people with experience would be hugely appreciated.

I don't know whether to carry on hoping I will be satisfied with my work eventually, or really knuckle down on myself and persevere. Ignoring what could just be pettiness and maybe coming back to the start when I'm further down the line?

Eeesh! Writing is tough, but I won't give up.

2. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

Well, you can't edit what you don't write. Often I look back at something and realize it's a real steamer but sometimes I'm kind of amazed that I wrote it so well first time out. Learn to enjoy the writing process itself, it's a hellova lot more fun than editing. YMMV

3. Chesster

Chesster New Member

You need to have faith in what you are producing. Maybe push a little further and don't be as critical. I have done the same myself, but in the end I realised that my ability only goes so far. Its good to be self critical, but there is a fine line between that and having no faith. If I was you, I would redraft whatever you pour out. I'm positive you are putting down some decent work. Edit, don't delete. You will get there in the end!!!

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Sometimes what we imagine doesn't translate to the written world as much as we'd hope, especially with the first draft.

Sometimes it takes a while to get into the writing stride, and most writers discover that by the time they reach the end of their first novel (first draft), their writing skill has improved, making it easier to go back and revise and improve everything in the 2nd draft. Plus, the author will have a better handle on the characters and world and culture and more by the end of the novel.

If you never save or finish anything, that's all you'll ever have.

5. john132

john132 New Member

This is my new gospel for me. Thank you. Wow.

6. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

If you find yourself inclined to delete everything every time you read back over it then don't read back over it. It may sound silly but I always lose desire to write when I read back over something that's really terrible. When you do read over it it can get a little overwhelming when none of it seems good enough but editing it bit by bit might make it less overwhelming. Don't delete stuff. Writing something terrible can be a great learning opportunity if you take the time to edit it and make it good or even if you just work out what makes it terrible but not if you delete it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    minstrel likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What do you mean by "three types"?

It sounds like you need some direction. Have you considered joining a critique group?

I was in love with my story, still am. But the first stuff I started writing looked exquisitely amateurish. Once some people who knew their stuff started pointing out the issues to me, and after I read as much as I could on style and how to write, I caught on.

Now when I write something I really like, and the critique group tears it apart ;), I know it really only needs tweaking, not a complete rewrite.