1. SilentWaves55

SilentWaves55 Active Member

A fictional country/island near the US

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by SilentWaves55, Sep 7, 2021.

It would be located somewhere between California, Hawaii, Alaska and the North Pacific. The resident's/natives would basically be similar to Americans. English is the major language. Only problem I can't think of other languages to add like a secondary language for sn area like this thst would mske most sense? And what the people would look like? I wanted them to be more ambiguous, at least my main characters from here. Whst features would the best to describe how they would look ethnic wise?

2. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I would think they would look something similar to Hawaiians, Polynesians, and/or Inuits. There are thousands of primitives languages, so them having their own made up primitive language doesn’t seem like an issue.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Do you mean like Native Americans? Or like the descendants of immigrants? If you look at the inhabitants of Hawaii, Cuba, Haiti and the other islands close to America they're populated by natives with some immigrants added to the mix.

4. SilentWaves55

I could do that. But I was also thinking of having some European mixed in as well so they are a mix of them all. Could that work?
    I guess descendants of immigrants, more like those who live there, who are born in this country.

5. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

I thought of an island that had been isolated for at least a century. This is why we've never heard of this country before. Most of the inhabitants would be Polynesian with some European mixed. The European influence would come from the people who got stranded there because of a storm a long time ago.

6. SilentWaves55

This is a good way. But could it have become a developed nation after many many years, where there's advanced technology or where it's developed like the US?

7. Travalgar

Travalgar Active Member

Almond-shaped eyes, black wavy hair, full lips, strong build, beige/tan skin first came to mind when imagining people native to the Pacific islands. To make it more ambiguous, subvert one or two of these physical characteristic tropes and switch them up with a random physical feature. Maybe make them shorter and stockier, red-haired, or something.

As a second language, I would say just invent a new language unique to them! It could be of the Polynesian family, with a touch of Inuit or other indigenous American language influences thrown in (maybe explorers from the Siberian or Alaskan mainland reached the island long ago and descended their language traditions as well as their genes).

I apologize in advance if I came off as a bit crude with my descriptions above. I don't mean to be crass and racist about it.

8. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

You might research the Pitcairn Islands for inspiration.

9. SilentWaves55

No this is fine and the descriptions were fine to me. I was actually thinking of making the MC short and stockier, with tan features and something like red hair or dark amber, think would be pretty cool. And features of those who live there. It could be a mix of different Polynesian and Inuit languages. Unless I make him and this place more westernized and have it located somewhere near the Virgin Islands or some small island that is apart of California?

10. jpoelma13

jpoelma13 Member

Was this island colonized by any European powers? If so European bloodlines and languages are likely to be found there as well. Spanish, Portuguese, French or English would all make sense. Also why would a island have large numbers of Polynesians and Inuits living together? They're from different parts of the world.

11. Stephen1974

Stephen1974 Active Member

If you want it in the Pacific near North America then it is unlikely to have been colonised at any point by Western European nations, however, It could have been colonised by East Europeans or Asians.

the Aleutian Islands (like Unalaska) could be a useful reference point.

12. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

If this island is located in the north Pacific, the inhabitants are far more likely to be related to Aleuts than to Inuits.

13. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

I know some libertarians, and I suddenly wondered what it would be like to have a libertarian country near the US.

14. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

A pain in the arse.

15. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

You really couldn't do better than this advice. With one or two tweaks to the Pitcairn story, ethnic make-up, language, you're away.

Catriona Grace likes this.