Tags:
  1. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

The Lion Pit?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Harmonices, Jan 24, 2019.

Heya, I'm a newbie here, and a newcomer to fiction writing in general (barring a bit of scribbling as a teenager). I wonder, is there a 'rip it to pieces' thread anywhere on this forum that newbs can submit passages for critique by other forum members, so they can help to highlight problems and offer ideas for remedying them?

Zombie Among Us and Some Guy like this.
  2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Harmonices, and welcome to the forum

Well - yes, no, and maybe...

There is a "workshop" area where members critique other members work, however it is really only open to "active" members of the community - there is a time limit and a restriction that you have to crit other people's work before submitting your own for crit. Can't remember the exact rules but you should have been sent them when you joined.

The benefits of this are two-fold - it saves members from critting work for "fly-by" visitors who just want a bit of critique, but it also helps you to get involved and learn more about the forum, the members, and what crit is all about.

I would wholeheartedly recommend that you join in with some of the banter and technical discussions - there is a general "respect your fellow writer" ethos, and most things seem to be tolerated with the exception of trolls and arseholes, but more than this I recommend that you visit the workshop and look at other people's work and the points raised - you will learn more about your own work through looking at the work of others and deciding why it doesn't work for you than you ever will by having your own ripped to shreds!

3. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

That's great, thanks. Will do.

Zombie Among Us and Hammer like this.