1. Elando

Elando New Member

Need help developing a plot idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Elando, Mar 12, 2011.

Hey there,

I've been a fan fiction writer on and off for the past few years and I've finally thought up what I think is at least a semi-original idea for what I hope to write as either a book or, if I could find the talent to draw the thing, a comic/graphic novel.

The world I have in mind is your typical cliche fantasy world with the usual fantasy elements, but with a twist.

The whole idea revolves around continually breaking the 4th wall as a main plot element to create a comedic-drama piece.

The story would revolve around the character Fredrick McNeal, a simple farmer who became the first prophet of Narrativism. The religion is based on the idea that the universe as they know it is created by an author in a parralell universe and that everyone within the universe is mearly a creation of that author in order to entertain the audience. Fredrick discovered the religion after hearing the voice of the author firstly in his dreams which then escallated into everyday conciousness of the authors voice and the ability to work outside his influence, to go against the story and carve his own path.

His goal is to spread the word of Narrativism across the land in order for people to become aware of their actions and break the hold the author has on their minds, as each person living within the world has the voice of the author in their head, effectively narrating their lives, sort of like the little voice/conscience in our world that tells us when to do or not to do something.

Throughout his journey the author will at first embrace Fredricks ability, but as Fredrick begins to gain followers the author will send forces against him in order to stop him. While he could obviously destroy him in an instant by dropping a boulder on him from a great height or by causing him to contract a flesh eatting virus the author knows that the conflict will make a great story and ultimately, sell well, so he mearly challenges Fredrick rather than killing him outright.

So far, its just an idea. Theres no long term plot, no deffinate world, nothing except the initial concept.

Basically what I'm asking is, is it a good idea and is there anything anyone can add to help me develop it into something I can work with. The kind of vibe I want to put across is similar to a Terry Prattchet novel as I could see this idea being something he might work with. So really, any help would be greatly appriciated. :D

2. Yandos

Yandos New Member

I think this could be a very fun idea, as you could take it in any direction without being restricted.
    However, I would start reading plenty of comedy and choose what style or come up with you own type of comedy for your story.

You'll also need to have a very good idea of 'who' Fredrick is, what type of humour he uses, how he interacts with others.
    AND you will also need to do this for the 'author' too. Make sure you understand both of their characters and how they will interact with each other.

Will the author's voice appear in his head like the narrator does?
    Will the world be moderately normal (the author creates a personage of himself to challenge Fredrick), or be completely crazy (Fredrick needing to sword fight a flying quill)?

3. Elando

Elando New Member

I've read a variety of comedy novels such as the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and basically ever Discworld novel thats been published so I have a slight grasp of written humour, as well as being an avid reader of many webcomics and so on and so forth.

Ideally I would prefer to stay away from the completely crazy aspect of characters fighting flying pens and so on, the author wants to challenge Fredrick and his followers but not to an extent that it would jepodise the story. The author is effectively manipulating Fredrick in order to make a story that effectively writes itself due to Fredrick being able to think and react independantly from the author's decissions.

The idea of Fredrick being able to hear the author would be that Fredrick, somehow, has a connection to the author and is able to use this to see potential plot points and events that will happen within the story, so that he can effectively warn people he meets of the author's intentions in order to steer their lives in a different direction. Still figuring out the extent of his 'powers' but it would be something like that.

Theres also room for pop culture refrences, if cheesey at times, such as the possibility of fans of the book role playing in the universe and potentially either challenging Fredrick, or joining him on his quest. Could be quite funny. Another idea would be mixing in various fan fictions that could possibly arrise from the world, like some obscure japanese cat-person fan fiction with badly written characters and plot lines invading Fredrick's world.

Also, I can already see there being quite a few twists in the plot I could work in already, which I probably won't discuss just incase the idea come to fruition and becomes a best seller. :D

4. Ion

Ion New Member

Here's what I have to offer.

Come up with where you want to start. Know where you want to end, what the climax of the story is going to be. Then think of some significant action you want to have in the middle that puts the protagonist on the road to the climax.

Having those three events in mind will help you start thinking of how the plot will string between them.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. David Jae

David Jae New Member

Conflict

This is good, but it will need some conflict to move it on.

SOMETHING LIKE:
    If he spreads the religion, he will cease to exist or that a love interest of his may be killed. Something like that

7. Vault

Vault New Member

I think this is an interesting idea that could go a lot of different ways. I encourage you to pursue this idea, as it's one of the more originals I've heard.

8. jennym123

jennym123 Member

This seems like a harsh critique but breaking from the plot in a story isn't technically possible. I mean, if the writer is writing everything every character does than that means hearing the writer would be the intention of the writer. Likewise, breaking from the mold would also mean the writer is making this happen.

The only plot device I could see is that if a character is doing things uncharacteristic than the writer is having problems. Maybe this means everyone is breaking from their roles- Fish start flying, bakers stop baking and become jugglers etc etc- and this is causing a massive world-ending discord in the world.
    A character breaking from the mold could also create writers block from the writer, so major events just aren't happening anymore- Wars stop and all the solders just start milling around, a king lying on his deathbed just keeps lingering and the world is stuck constantly at a certain time of day. This would naturally annoy a lot of people.

Something to think about.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Sorry folks, but Elando hasn't been back since the last 2 (discouraging?) replies from 2011. Maybe you can share your more positive and useful replies with the next new member. :)