1. alw86

alw86 Active Member

US TV Show Logistics In 1999 (wow that's obscure...)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by alw86, Mar 18, 2021.

Hoping someone can help me with this plot point:

In 1999 a TV show which has aired for two seasons on Channel X moves to Channel Y. Both channels are network TV, not cable. On moving to Channel Y, the name of the show, the actors and general concept will remain the same, but Channel Y want to change the overall mood to be edgier.

My understanding of how this would work is that a studio produces the show and sells it to Channel X for the two seasons. Channel X would have a contract with the studio giving them first refusal on season 3, but when it comes time to renew the show they decline to exercise it. This means the studio now have to find another channel to sell season 3 to, otherwise the show gets cancelled. They manage to sell it to Channel Y, who take it on the proviso that it be edgier than the first two seasons, to appeal to Channel Y's demographic.

Does this sound about right? Any corrections and/or additional details and resources much appreciated!

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I can't say I know the niceties of it, but I know this happened to Buffy the Vampire slayer in the 90's. I don't know if it became edgier or not, I'd need to check when it happened and what was going on in the show at the time. But you might try looking into the production history for that show.

alw86 likes this.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This happens, but I don't know how common it is to change the tone of the series. I know this happened to MST3K but thats not exactly the kind of series you are talking about.

Usually it's described as the other network as 'picking up' the series. I'd see if there are any good reddits covering tv production, that would be another good place to ask this.

alw86 likes this.
  4. alw86

alw86 Active Member

I hadn't heard of MST3K but actually it sounds much closer to what I'm planning than you might think! Much closer than a sitcom or drama, actually, and as a bonus for me the wiki entry on the change looks surprisingly detailed, so this is a really useful reference I would never have found on my own. Thank you!

5. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

If I were you, I would look up the history of Batman: the Animated Series. Because this is pretty much what happened with that series. It started out on Fox, and then it was moved to the WB Network. And I would also advise that you check out the seasons before the move to WB and after the move, because a lot of the show changed after the switch.

alw86 likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure of the specific process, but it's reasonable to assume that a network would only pick up a show if it fit withing their desired criteria of content. There are always negotiations between the production companies that make TV shows and the networks that air them. Everything has to be approved before it's aired--mainly for legal/libel/censorship purposes--so I don't see why the network wouldn't begin initial negotiations with, "We here at HBO have a standard of expectation for our content. We expect to see a lot of tits, hear a lot of F words, and want our gunshots to be explosive as possible. Particularly the head-wounds. We want to see brains... you hear that, kid? Not just blood, but legit brains dripping down the walls. At least once per episode. And Michael K Williams. We're going to need him to make at least one cameo per season. We've got nothing to talk about until Michael K Williams is attached!"

alw86 likes this.