1. Raven

Raven Banned

Final cut for Blade Runner

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Sep 3, 2007.

A new version of the cult sci-fi movie Blade Runner is getting a premiere at the Venice Film Festival.

The film has been revamped to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the original release.

Director Ridley Scott is presenting Blade Runner The Final Cut, a re-edited version of the cyber-punk classic, at the festival.

It includes new extended scenes and improved special effects and is scheduled for DVD release in the autumn.

The film is set in the year 2019 and follows policeman Deckard - played by Harrison Ford - who is trying to catch four androids that have escaped from a space-based colony.

It also starred Rutger Hauer and Daryl Hannah who have been in Venice, where the film is screening out of competition.

2. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Well this will certainly be interesting

As in english we were obliged to study Bladerunner the original

I wonder how this new one will compare

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    This is the version Scott wanted to put out. It has a bleaker ending, less voice over monologues, and it's how it should have been done in the beginning.
    Only the Studio didn't like the early sneak preview reviews, and told Scott to make it happier, and explain more things to the audience through voice overs.
    I really want to see it.

4. angelamia

angelamia New Member

i'm really excited for this. I can't wait to see how the quality of the movie improves.

heres a tidbit that might interest the writing folk, to promote the final cut it seems they're holding an arts contest, to which literature is a part. if you've written anything Blade Runner inspired you can submit it at bladerunnercontest.com. I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of things end up on that site

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You got to study it? In class? Good grief, I'm at the wrong school...

6. Raven

Raven Banned

lmao.

7. absis minas

absis minas New Member

The 1992 Director's Cut is already classic. No voice over, suitably bleak ending...it's perfect.

The trailer for the final cut...honest-to-God scares the hell out of me.
    I know it's a trailer, but I can't get over the sneaking suspicion that Ridley Scott don't know jack 'bout makin' good movies no more.

I'm scared that it'll turn into a George Lucas syndrome of going back and editing 30 year old footage into something completely new. I'm afraid that Mister Scott will turn it into a dick-waving, Hollywood ****fest.

I hope it's not. I hope it is amazing. Because Lord, is that trailer atrocious.

8. Raven

Raven Banned

Personally I oprefared the original draft with the voice over. The voice over worked nicely and also gave that added feeling of an old 40s detective movie in the future.

I refused to buy the DVD because it was only available in directors cut. However i did run a copy from my old VHS original to DVD.

9. angelamia

angelamia New Member

From what i've been reading (on the main site forums at messageboards.bladerunnerthemovie.com) the final cut is amazing. I think they just went back in and fixed the quality as well as added deleted scenes, like an extended unicorn scene. They also fixed up mistakes like the voice not going with the mouth in the scene where deckard is asking about the snake scale and also reshooting johanna cassidy so they could superimpose her face on the stunt double. someone on the "Which version is your favorite" thread specifically says that it is NOT a george lucas recut, so i think you're safe. :)