1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Forum Improvements

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by big soft moose, Apr 28, 2023.

Just to let everyone know that by popular demand we have split the Novels and Short stories forum back up into genre categories.

This is probably the most requested change from members who rightly point out that having it all piled into one board leads to work getting buried and less critique given overall.

Also we have taken the decision to do away with the graphic novels and manga workshop board - this was introduced as an experiment back in 2021 and after nearly two years it has only attracted 6 threads and virtually no critique. At the end of the day we are a site for the written word rather than for drawings, and telling stories with pictures doesn't seem to be something for which there is a strong demand. Should that change in the future it could always be brought back at a later date

We've taken flash fiction out of the short stories and novels board and made it it's own top level forum in recognition that flash is a different form of writing

We've also now created a showcase board for those that what to show their finished writing off to the community (success stories is now a subforum of this board) - this is outside the workshop and not bound by the workshop restrictions, however work cannot be posted here for critique

We've renamed the creative writing and applied writing sections to better reflect the actual content. These are now 'the writing process' and 'writing tools' respectively

Finally we've moved the Workshop towards the top of the board, as writing and helping improve writing is at the heart of what we do here

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    KiraAnn, Hammer, AntPoems and 6 others like this.
  2. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I welcome this change. It's a great idea.

A lot of my workshop threads are labelled as general fiction. Should I more specifically label them for your convenience?

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yes please- if you can use the appropriate prefix for the sub forum you want them to be in that'd be dandy

Mister2023 and ps102 like this.
  4. ps102

It's all done. Though while I was editing my workshop entries I noticed that my very first thread (The Prologue Experiment) is actually gone from my list. Strange.
    [​IMG]

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Something definitely seems to have happened - most of my workshop entries aren't showing up under my profile.

Have the new subforums been correctly marked as being part of the workshop?

This change (back) is welcome and long overdue, I think.

Mister2023 likes this.
  6. big soft moose

That is the issue - i found the thread that PS102 was talking about in the new sub science fiction forum - they are marked as child forums for the workshop so they should be non indexable etc, (I just checked and they are - if you're not logged in no threads show up) but it would appear that they aren't getting caught by the query that generates the workshop list in your profiles... (ETA Okay further to my last ive worked out why this is happening - i need to add the new forums to a list for a thing called Notiba...i can do it, but the best option is to do it once when all the new forums are created which will be some point in the next few days... please bear with us , changes always need a little trouble shooting)

Ive also found out why threads in the print on demand forum are appearing in peoples workshop totals, i'll fix that in due course

I have to say that the Admin interface in XF1 really sucks...its not at all intuitive, you can tell it was designed about 10 or so years ago...still we have to do the best we can with what we've got

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  7. big soft moose

So to update we've completed the move, and the workshop tabs on your profiles should be showing correctly again

ps102 and Naomasa298 like this.
  8. ps102

Indeed they do. But it seems that they lost their visual banner prefixes.

9. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Wonderful, thanks moose. What caused all the redirects in the warfare and history subforum?

10. big soft moose

When we move a post we have an option to leave a redirect either temporarily or permanently or not... it defaults to temporary but we usually select not, when we moved a bunch of warfare and history posts we forgot to alter it from temp, and then the redirects were themselves moved in the next iteration (we can only move 455 threads at one time), since they are temporary they will disappear at some point tomorrow

all the prefixes have been wiped because there is no need for them now that threads are divided by genre...e.g theres no need for every post in the sci fi forum to be prefixed sci fi.

where there's more than one type of genre we may introduce new prefixes... eg in crime and thriller we could have "Crime, thriller, action adventure, etc but thats a lot of work and not a priority at the minute

Naomasa298 and ps102 like this.
  11. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Is the workshop credits thing new? I just noticed it for the first time

12. big soft moose

It’s not new but it was supposed to be turned off because it wasn’t working properly, I may have inadvertently turned it back on.

I’ll have to look at that

13. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

Thank you for all your hard work.