1. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Batman v Superman Trailers

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by edamame, Dec 4, 2015.

The second trailer recently went up online, what do you guys think? I was starting to come around to Ben Affleck and really liked the first teaser trailer but this was so cringe-worthy, I'm starting to think this film will be a mess.

2. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Meh.

I think Suicide Squad will be fine but this I'm skeptical about though and I say this as a comic book fan I am a bit tired of the superhero hollywood phase but that just might be cause I've already been around it for so many years XD

But don't get me wrong I love my superheroes! But I think the problem with these DC movies is that they are trying to be all Nolan like and trying to do the reverse of what Marvel is doing. Now speaking in comic terms I love both worlds but I relate to DC characters a bit more.

Marvel will always say they are more relatable but I think both are a lot, I just lean towards certain DC characters more.

Anyway to my point.

DC isn't using what their greatest strength. DC embraces its weirdness, cheese and not taking itself so seriously all the time as Marvel does, speaking of the comics and such, there are exceptions on both sides of course.

But a a lot of the very bright DC heroes are very like BOOM! "I'm here, I'm the hero!" That's how Man of Steel movie should of been, now I thought it was okay but I feel a Superman film should very bright, very crazy sci-fi and with a lot of hope in there (done well of course).

They really tap into the cheesy superhero style but also stay relatable. So I fear DC's going to make their bright characters (such as Supes) out to be overly dark and gritty. I think DC's strongest thing right now is their TV.

It has Arrow as a bit more dark and gritty and then you have The Flash which while serious sometimes it is also fun superhero entertainment show, not overly dreary which fits more with the comics just as the Daredevil show fits with his comics in doing the dark stuff well.

This is my overall observation of DC's movies, they are gonna be to angsty, dark and brooding with the wrong characters XD

3. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

As for the trailer itself.

Yeah some of the acting felt a bit off and such.....cringe worthy.

I see they are kinda going for a more Alexander Luthor Jr-ish (of Earth 3) type a Lex Luthor which is fine I guess but I personally prefer the more normal mainstream route not to say Lex doesn't get hammy he does but its very much a cool kinda reserve a lot.

The very business man side with spurned ego of being second best gone haywire. The animated series (Justice League, Superman TAS), 80s Superman comics (Man of Steel run), Grant Morrison's Superman work tend to be my favorite interpretations of the character.

Now......

I will agree Ben Affleck's Bruce Wayne isn't perfect in this, kinda middle as someone who didn't like Christian Bale's Batman I think I'll like Ben better but when he's Batman.....if that makes sense? Like of all the Batman actors who have worn the suit, he looks the most Bat built XD

So I'm hoping he at least does a good performance in costume and hoping for a surprise from his Bruce Wayne.

4. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

@Kingtype

I agree. I found Man of Steel to be darker than I expected for Superman who is supposed to represent optimism and moral good. It could be that the success of Nolan's Batman made producers decide a dark and gritty tone would be more marketable, but that just makes me wonder if Batman v Superman should be looked at as a Superman movie at all.

From what little I've seen, Lex was grating to me. I'm used to him as an authoritative, intimidating man, but what I see so far is completely opposite of that. A reviewer I watched mentioned he felt like the Riddler without the costume.

I think Batman is very manageable for Affleck, but I'm not sure about Bruce Wayne. As "Brucie" he usually plays up being a spoiled playboy and can be charming, but maybe this older Bruce is different.