1. mikespread1988

mikespread1988 New Member

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by mikespread1988, Mar 29, 2008.

I love this book so much. So witty and imaginative from a British writer who was in my opinion the best of his time. The books been widely recognised over here and has been made in so many different form of medias that its there for everyone to enjoy, from the reasonably new film from three years ago to the TV series that was made twenty-four years previously.

I was wondering, what with this being an American forum, whether any of you have managed to give this one a read. If you have then please tell your opinions, if not, go out and buy it now!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My son and I both greatly enjoy the series. However, I wouldn't really call this an American forum. The server is located in the USA, but we have members in most time zones. There are very large concentrations in the USA and Canada, The UK, and Australia. The differences in spelling and other fine details between the different English speaking groups sometimes makes things very interesting.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I've never read the book but the movie was mildly entertaining :D

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I read all five books in the trilogy (yayy) in fifth grade, and then again in the summer before seventh. Loved every single one, even the black, black comedy that was Mostly Harmless. When I found out Douglas Adams had died, I was so pissed. Every May 25, I celebrate Towel Day in his honor.

If you haven't read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and its sequel, also written by DA, I'd recommend doing so. Highly.

5. mikespread1988

mikespread1988 New Member

I must admit though, some of the sections of his books were a bit beyond me in terms of Science fiction. I mean I write Sci-Fi myself but some of its just mentally straining, but nevertheless he makes up for it with his humour.

I haven't read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency actually, I'll have to look it up but I have got a Salmon of Doubt which puts loads of his writings together that he was working on before he died. It was done by Stephen Fry if I remember rightly.

Also The Meaning Of Liff books are good and truly show what a brilliant imagination Adams has.

A legend.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Yeah, I loved The Salmon of Doubt...got it for my twelfth birthday and then felt like crying when I'd finished.
    And I can't find the two Meaning of Liff books anywhere around my town. It ticks me off.

7. AWR

AWR New Member

Douglas Adams is one of my favourites. But I am not American, but Australian, so do I count?

I have the radio show on CD as well as books (not all of them, sob).

Quirky and thought provoking man.

And now Arthur C Clarke has passed away (94 I think he was so I might forgive him).

But worst of all I find that Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Fate needs a kick in the a*se. (not one to swear but some things require it).

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

WHAT! :eek:

When did this happen! Why did no one tell me! *breaks out into tears*

Its the Crocidile Hunter all over again! Why! Why must the awesome die while I'm still young!

9. Mad Madam Mimm

Mad Madam Mimm New Member

I absolutely adore these books! I have read the books more times than any other (even harry potter! XD) I've also seen the tv series and heard the radio play and the movie (which was mostly filmed very near to my house!) was consequently a huge disappointment.

Never has one man written words which have affected so many people. Even without being as big a boffin as i am about it, everyone knows "42" is usually the response to philosophical questions. Its just amazing that the entire idea was concocted by Mr Adams when he was lying drunk in a field. Well, maybe its not that suprizing, but still, says something for humble beginnings, doesnt it?

And as for "the awesome dying while i'm still young" thing, most of my idols appear to have died either before i was born or before i was conscious of them.

10. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Need I mention the game he wrote a script for, Starship Titanic?

It is pure Adams, and it's his best work.

I liked the movie, the series, well, genius. If anything, I've been meaning to read the books, I've just never got round to it.

11. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

All the books were genius.

12. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

I adore the whole series. The humour is just awsome, and some of the writing pure genious.

13. Rink85

Rink85 New Member

Clever. Hysterical. Both the book and the movie.

14. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I like it but some of the books are just completely random and doesn't make sense. Maybe I didn't read it that hard, but I get confused some times. But besides that, i like the series overall.