1. karnos1

karnos1 New Member

need help writing my first ever fantasy novel

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by karnos1, Jul 31, 2011.

i really need help starting off my first ever novel

i have a huge idea in my head for a fantasy novel including a plot line, the world and its background, some characters and their backgrounds, what i want happening at the start middle and end and other things besides.

the trouble is i dont know where to begin, i realise im asking a very broad question but if you have any counter questions etc ill gladly answer them if it helps

p.s sorry for any bad spelling and grammar as i rushed this post

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A very broad question indeed. You should consider starting by posting to New Member Introductions, then taking some time to explore the site. Many of the more specific questions contained in your general question have been discussed many times already.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The common fantasy thing is to at best borrow from Tolkien and start in medias res.

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Just start from the middle and do the begining later.

5. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

This seems to be a common problem for beginning writers, or even experienced writers. My suggestion would be to just force yourself to write anything, even if it is rather random and not that good. Then, you can read it over and think about how you would really like to start the story, using the random free write as a comparison example. Maybe you want to go in a different direction. Maybe you want to stay with what you wrote, but improve it and alter some bits and pieces. Maybe you happen to write something great on your first try (rarely happens, but it is possible) and decide to stick with that entirely. Just force yourself to start something, and use that starting work as a basis to improve, change, redraft, and so on.

6. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

There are many types of beginnings. The style you want depends on how you want to introduce your story. How you want to set the tone of it, and such. Think of it as a first impression on your reader, or an introduction.

I'm sure you've probably read a lot of books by now or even a few you like. Maybe just flip open some and see how they all began their stories. In the end though, trust yourself. If you know the story your telling, you know the beginning you want. It's just putting it into words that's the kicker.

7. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

The way I would try is to imagine your story as a movie. How would you want that movie t start. Then put it into words.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Write a situation that shows your MC's personality, i.e. the way he/she reacts to something, maybe an interaction with another character, or a catastrophe/conflict of some kind.

There should be visible conflict on page 1, even if it's not THE conflict that carries the plot. I'm writing a dimension-travel fantasy novel, but my first few pages are about the MC not getting along with her mom.