1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

WF Book Club Nominations for March

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by thirdwind, Feb 1, 2011.

Please post all nominations of books/plays/collections of stories/poems here. Just make sure the books you nominate aren't too long. It would be nice to take a week or two to read the book and then take the rest of the month to discuss.

2. thirdwind

As usual, since no one has posted any nominations, I'll post some from the last few months.

Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
    Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas
    Rushing to Paradise, or Concrete Island, or Cocaine Nights by JG Ballard
    The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham
    Gardens of the Moon, by Steven Erikson

If none of these are to your liking, then please suggest something else. Thanks.

3. evelon

evelon Active Member

Homeless in My Heart, Collection of Poems by Felix Dennis

Any of the Felix Dennis collections:

A Glass Half Full
    Lone Wolf
    Island of Dreams

4. thirdwind

Since no one else has voted, I'm assuming that interest in the book club has died down. I realize that everyone's busy (including me), so how about we take a month or two off? I'm hoping that people will have a renewed interest in reading and discussing after a short break.

One thing I'll do differently next time is advertise the book club in the Lounge every month. This will hopefully attract members who don't normally visit the Book Discussion part of the forum.

Another thing I'm considering doing differently is having a poll so that people can vote more easily. Perhaps those who are interested in participating could PM me a nomination, and I'll take the first X nominations and make a poll. This saves me the trouble of having to go through several pages of nominations and also forces people to vote for one book only.

Any thoughts and/or questions about this?

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Don't take this the wrong way I just don't fancy any of the selection its a very boy selection to me.

I don't like Mervyn Peake, I struggled with Gormeghast, have read Under Milk Wood several times. Have only read one William Burroughs won't be reading another, not a huge JG Ballard fan so it would just be Gardens of the Moon because its the only one left.

I can't really read this month but any chance some slightly less miserable books ?

I am going to suggest Hitchhikers Guide, Little Women, any Gervase Phinn for something more modern, Oronoko Aphra Behn and Shakespeare's Henry IV

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I don't suggest books because the thing I like most about participating in the book club is reading things I wouldn't otherwise read. I'm definitely interested in continuing, though, and I'll (hopefully) be quitting my job in March, which will give me a lot more time.

7. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

One problem with voting is that plenty of people vote who don't participate. It happens plenty when voting for the theme of the short story contests. Nevertheless, the winning suggestion(s) are usually pretty popular as they gauge general community interest.

Anyway, I'm still very much interested in our small book club, but do agree I've been busy, which has limited my participation - though I am still tackling both Pygmalion and Titus Groan simulataneously - a few more thoughts to follow. I'm not adverse to having a month off, and certainly agree on heavy promotion of the club in the Lounge.

I support trying one of Elgaisma's suggestions for the next outing. Thanks for trying to keep us all going. :)

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

How about offering a few different books that have some common element? That way, people have a few more options to choose from, but still have the option of trying something they wouldn't normally read. Could base it on common periods, common authors, movements, themes, whatever.

Or whatever.

9. thirdwind

Thanks for the comments everyone. It seems like a few people are still interested in participating in March, so I'll take Gannon's advice and we'll read something Elgaisma suggested.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
    Anything by Gervase Phinn
    Henry IV by William Shakespeare

10. thirdwind

Double post

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

LOL ta I just flatly refuse to read anything that isn't upbeat during the winter - happy to do the other's in the summer when days are longer and I can sit on the beach until 11pm reading whilst the kids run round.

12. thirdwind

So how about we read The Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams in March? It's a fairly easy read, so even if you're busy you should be able to finish.

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Sounds good to me!

14. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

The Wind-up Bird Chronicles, by Haruki Murakami

15. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'm in. Thanks

16. thirdwind

Please keep that suggestion in mind for April since we're always short on nominations.