1. OrangeInAir

OrangeInAir Member

Super common?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by OrangeInAir, Mar 22, 2011.

This may be super common...

When I get an idea for a story, it comes in the form of images; like I am remembering scenes from a movie. Then when I write the story, I describe what's happening in those scenes in my head. Perhaps this is how every writer works.

Like I said, this may be how everyone writes, and if so, I just want to know...

Sorry if this is a stupid question :)

2. Ion

Ion New Member

Pretty much the same here, though they're usually more infused with an actual sense of being there rather than just images and sound. My goal in writing is to let others see what I see.

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Not a stupid question at all. The visual component of my imagination is so strong that I have to make an effort to add sound and scent to my stories.

I've asked the same question to hundreds of people, writers and non-writers, and apparently it's quite common but not ubiquitous.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Not really my stories come about from talking to my characters and writing - I find nothing moves a story on faster than writing about it. I use the scenery in my local area as a backdrop to my stories.

5. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Yes, this is very common. In fact, I do the same too. I normally picture what is going on in my head and then add in background information after I have finished the narrative description. And to me, it's good to remember the scensory pictures in your head. Using the descriptive narration in most cases would probably make the readers more engaged in the story, and narrative description sometimes define the "Show, Don't Tell" rule.

6. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Nope, I carry around a massive, complete sensual experience of every setting I use, but they're quite static, as if a map created in a computer game. The compulsion to write comes entirely from the words that appear in my head. I never see dramatic action sequences, merely the potential for them, and some really good lines of description I could use if I were to write one. :p I only visualise the settings in motion with characters interacting and moving through them when I'm actually writing. If I'm sitting still running a scene through my head, I usually get stuck on one location, and all that happens is conversation or world building, really. I need to see a page and hold a pen to be able to write a decent string of events all following on from each other.

7. OrangeInAir

OrangeInAir Member

What you said, about having to add the scent, made me realize I've never done that in any of my stories. So, thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone; it was interesting reading what y'all said.

8. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

I do have 'plotlets' in the form of images most of the time, yes. Usually it's only bits and pieces though, leaving me to fill in the blanks. This can be very difficult for me as the rest of the story feels forced.

At times I get a song in my head and build a story from the lyrics, however. Though I am usually manually attaching images to visualize. Not sure if that counts?

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I sometimes prefer running movies in my head to writing them down. I put on some music and get lost in my own fantasy world. I like to do this with a story for a while, to see if it turns out good or if I just get stuck somewhere. I can picture different outcomes and then take notes if something is particularly good. Then when I get sick of it, I start writing :p

10. jelinekjava415

jelinekjava415 New Member

I would say it is a mixture of my imagination and what I have recently seen on tv/movie. I also do it while reading something or just while day dreaming....that is why I keep a small notebook with me at all times so that I can jot down that thought and possibly use it for my writing.