1. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

1920s sleeping sickness (Reliable medical research)

Discussion in 'Research' started by Damien Loveshaft, Sep 25, 2017.

I'm writing an adventure based around an alternate history sleeping sickness. No, not the African version from parasite (I got that earlier). What are the most trustworthy sites for medical research like this?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Try plugging 'Encepahlitis lethargica' into Google Scholar and reading the papers that come up. I can't remember if Scholar articles are always free but even when papers are behind paywalls the abstract, or part of it, is usually free to view. That should be enough for your purposes.

As far as I recall, the symptoms and progression are understood but everything else is pretty sketchy.

Fernando.C likes this.
  3. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

Thank you, I'd never heard of Google scholar, but it looks great. I have a cause for the disease in my story, just wanted to make sure I portray the symptoms and impact of the disease as accurately as possible.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

This might be worth 120 minutes of your time.

Damien Loveshaft likes this.
  5. warden1

warden1 New Member

Just a comment about finding good resources - there is this initiative called Paperity and when it comes to research they have lots of fields covered, medicine included. If you want to check their website: http://paperity.org/