1. Ellen1212

Ellen1212 New Member

writing for the romance genre

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Ellen1212, Mar 25, 2010.

Hi,
    In another thread Mamamaia wrote,
    "if you're seeking perfection of plot and print, the romance market is the last place you should be looking... they're not considered a 'pulp mill' for nothing..."

Okay, so you're saying that publishers have decided that the romance genre doesn't have to live up to the same standards of writing as other fiction? This is sad, I hope there are some exceptions.
    I am finishing a book that seems to fit most closely into the paranormal romance niche. I suppose I can try calling it 'paranormal fiction'. But if I call my book romance, I can expect to be looked at differently by a prospective agent, than if I had written a mainstream novel? If this is true, then maybe we are getting the kind of romances that the publishers think we want?

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

The great thing about the romance 'mill' is that you can submit directly to the publisher without an agent! The main publishing houses can't keep up with demand and they're always looking for new writers...

3. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

On the other hand the greatest books in history could be called romances: Shakespeare, the Bronte sisters and so many others. I mean, if the publishers like your book I doubt they'll be deterred by your naming it a romance. After all, your publisher may suggest a different genre name, if he wants to go ahead and publish it. Maybe you should just call it a novel and leave it at that, if you think it will cause you a problem and if you are not sure yourself. Let the publisher decide.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Romance genre isn't completely homogenous. There are certain publishers who lay out specific formulas for what they want in each romance novel, and their's is the cornflake mill that has given the genre its reputation. If a submission is true to the formula, they know they can sell it, even with some slop in the editing. Their primary market doesn't care as long as they have a fresh fantasy to vicariously live.

Do your research. Pay attention to which publishers publish works that meet your standard of quality and the kind of content you wish to write. Target these publishers for your primary submissions.

5. Ellen1212

Ellen1212 New Member

I am going to submit to an agent, and they want me to say what genre it is. I may go with 'paranormal fiction'. I did look at the sites of some romance publishers and they all want slightly different things. Thanks-:)

Thank you for your thoughts. As I said, I decided to submit to an agent. Most publishers who take submissions do want the author to stick to a strict formula, and I doubt they would want my ms. And too, the wait time is at least six months to hear back. Agents say they respond in 6-8 weeks and, after reading my synopsis and first chapter they'll know if this is a romance, and if it is marketable at all. :)

6. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Good luck! :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not all agents respond that quickly... some take 3 months or more... but you're wise to go the agent route, if you think your novel doesn't fit the low standards of the romance market... good luck!