1. lonesoac0

lonesoac0 New Member

Interesting travel deserves interesting writing

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by lonesoac0, Feb 7, 2012.

Hello all,

I am going to be on vacation in South East Asia pretty soon for almost a month. I want would really like to make a daily journal of my travels that is really unique. There are two methods that I think that I can make a unique journal. The first method is to have different writing styles every day like one day I write a high coup, another day I answer questions that my friends ask, on FB, and another day I describe what my five senses sense etc. The second method I can simply have a writing scheme that is more structured but less interactive with friends and family.

I am open to any suggestions.

2. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

South East Asia? Real neat. Where exactly are you visiting?

Out of your two methods, I would prefer the second one. The interaction with your friends can still be done easily over phone or Facebook, but your own travels are a more personal thing. The catch is: everyone's daily life is quite different, so your journal will end up being pretty unique anyways (especially since you're going on vacation).

My suggestion is that you simply write what appealed to you the most on any one particular day, and fill in the other details as you go along. I'm not sure what kind of journal you have in mind, or how you like to write your journals, but exciting things are always nice to record. The rest is really up to you. Pick a style, and a view, and change them daily if you'd like.

Hope you have a great time over there!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what is 'a high coup'???

the first method would be an annoying read, imo... if you want total strangers to read it and enjoy your travels vicariously [which is, after all, the goal of travel writing], you need to make it a smooth, vividly-descriptive read, not experiment with an ever-changing style...

regardless, have fun and see how much you can learn about other cultures and peoples...

bon voyage!