1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Save the Fair Use!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GuardianWynn, Mar 31, 2016.

I feel bad doing stuff like this but here is something I feel is something all content creators, writers or otherwise should see.

Thank you for your time.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Depending on which hat you're wearing as a "content creator," you may be on one side or the other of this issue.

3. GuardianWynn

It is always good to debate, but I am not sure I see what you mean.

Unless you mean like creative authors like what I want to be would dislike someone doing something like a comedy critique review. Which seems unfair to me. I, as a author, would love that. To try and stifle others creativity sounds awful, granted that doesn't mean I have to like there review.

Did you mean something else?

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It's not really about reviews. A review can be done without relying on Fair Use. I'm talking more about people using portions of works, or creating their own satire or parody, or creating some other transformative work using the original. The more successful content owners become, the more they tend to favor limited Fair Use rights (though that certainly isn't always true).

5. GuardianWynn

I can sort of understand it, but I still think that is bad. I mean unless it isn't really a use, but just more theft obviously. Like I saw this one critic did a review of a song. And the company blocked it since he showed clips of the music during the critique. That upset me, it feels so "quieting the negative opinion." My personal counter? I won't listen to the song anymore. I will change the station if it comes on. lol