Tags:
  1. Xanthe Rose

Xanthe Rose New Member

Which idea?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Xanthe Rose, Oct 24, 2019.

So I plotted out my novel, then had a change of plan and now I don't know which one to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

So both plans start the same...
    Paloma is a very rich woman who lives alone in a mansion. She's kind, down-to-earth and very charitable.
    Paloma meets Tiger (short for Tigerlily) a 14/15 year old homeless girl, they get talking and become friends.

Here's my first idea...
    Tiger moves in with Paloma (into the mansion) After not long, Tiger notices there is a weird atmosphere between Paloma and her butler. One night Tiger hears shouting and comes down to find Marcus (the butler) had got Paloma pinned against a wall. Later on, Paloma admits hes abusive towards her.

Second Idea...
    After a while of Tiger and Paloma being friends, Tiger tells Paloma that she had ran away from her abusive father, and he was going to hunt her down and kill her. Tiger stays with Paloma until one day he turns up with the police. Things get messy.

These are only really brief descriptions so let me know if you'd like more info.
    Please tell me which one you think I should write. I really can't decide!

I'm going to write it in 1st person from Tigers POV

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Merge the two ideas.

Tiger has run away from an abusive father. She is taken in by, and becomes friends with Paloma. After a while, she realises something is wrong between Paloma and her butler, and because she herself has been abused, she recognises the signs, and confronts Marcus, who confesses. Just as that situation is coming to a head, her father turns up with the police. Tiger doesn't want to go with them, both because she is afraid of him, but also because she wants to protect Paloma. Things get messy.

jannert, marshipan and The Bishop like this.
  3. Xanthe Rose

Xanthe Rose New Member

Thankyou! I love it

4. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Naomasa298's combining of ideas is cool!

Just a thought (in case Xanthe Rose has a preference), since it is from Tiger's POV, the 1st idea may fit better in a thriller/mystery while the 2nd idea as well as the combo idea may work better for an emotional drama.

Xanthe Rose likes this.
  5. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    I find having an abusive Butler is hard to believe. That's like a CEO hating having to go to work because his secretary slaps him around when he makes a complicated lunch order.

I'd definitely go with the second idea. Maybe a twist where she gets the butler a few days after Tiger comes to live with her but he's a mole for Tigers father who has suspicions that Tiger is with Paloma.

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Good point. I suppose that story problem (and it would need some explanation, wouldn't it?) could be solved if the butler is blackmailing Paloma with some nasty secret, etc. Something she doesn't want the world to know about—but that he's threatened to reveal if he ever got fired or reported for abusive behaviour.

Or there is some other reason she needs to keep him around—would he be a relative, or have some past connection with her that she's unwilling to break?

Her keeping a butler who abuses her is an issue that will need some explaining, unless she's some kind of masochist. (Also a story possibility.)

7. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    It's possible to do correctly, and would be interesting. The type of dynamic involved with being a servant but domineering. Blackmail is the best option Id say for that kind of situation.