1. Remainder

Remainder New Member

Pitch Slam?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Remainder, May 11, 2015.

I am looking into attending the Writers Digest Annual Conference and they are having a Pitch Slam. I am not finished with my book, so should I still participate in the pitch or are you supposed to wait until your work is completed to pitch it?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I would recommend waiting until you have finished your ms - not just first draft, but critique and editing, too. You only want to pitch a finished project. However, you can use the pitch sessions at your upcoming conference to become familiar with the process, see what works and what doesn't in making a pitch.

I will be attending the Algonkian New York Pitch Conference next month. You have to apply and be accepted before you can register, and the first thing they ask you is whether your ms is finished, yet.

Good luck.

Remainder likes this.
  3. Remainder

Remainder New Member

Thank you for your response Ed. I believe you are correct. I am not ready to pitch. My ms will not be ready in time and I do not want to rush it.

4. EdFromNY

FWIW, mine took almost as long to critique and edit as it took to write.

Remainder likes this.
  5. Remainder

Remainder New Member

I dread the editing/revising part. I am doing some as I go along, but not enough. I feel like this is taking long enough as it is.

6. EdFromNY

I only edit the obvious stuff that I catch while I'm writing - misspellings, grammar errors, obvious things like tense inconsistencies or filtering. Anything deeper than that, I wait until the story is written.

7. Remainder

Remainder New Member

I do that too. I have random thoughts in my head on how I can expand on certain scenes, so I go back and make some additions so I do not forget them.