1. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

Any twins on this site?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Anarchist_Apple84, Jan 6, 2012.

Hey people,

Long shot really but worth it nonetheless. Are any of the people who post on this site a twin? Not necessarily identical.

If so would you be willing to answer a short few questions for me?
    I'm focusing on an aspect of psychology in my short story involving relationships between twins and would be very appreciative if I could get a little help from a reliable source!

I won't hold my breath, but it's worth a try!

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

My brother and sister are twins. I might be able to answer some questions. I also personally know some twins.

3. Anarchist_Apple84

CruciFICTION, that's amazing. I wasn't expecting such a lightning response so you've caught me embarrassingly unprepared.

I will get some questions written up pronto! This is great :D

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

My brother and my sister are twins too.

5. the1

the1 Active Member

That's nice.

6. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

My brother and I are near-identical twins. Much less so in recent times, since he drives a desk now, but fire away.

7. Anarchist_Apple84

Okay guys, that's a much better response than I was expecting.

Shouldn't take too long but it'd be a great help, thanks in advance :)

1. Will a twin overcompensate to differentiate himself/herself from their brother/sister?
    2. How would a twin feel if his brother/sister was seen as a lot more successful than him/her? Would this lead to envy? Feelings of self doubt?
    3. How would it affect their relationship if one identical twin was a lot more successful with the other sex? Due to personality, ease around them, etc.
    4. Do twins occasionally have issues becoming close friends with others due to their close bond?

8. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

1. Will a twin overcompensate to differentiate himself/herself from their brother/sister?
    My brother has a penis and my sister has a vagina. I don't think this is applicable to me.
    2. How would a twin feel if his brother/sister was seen as a lot more successful than him/her? Would this lead to envy? Feelings of self doubt?
    ... Probably. But they're both at about the same station in life.
    3. How would it affect their relationship if one identical twin was a lot more successful with the other sex? Due to personality, ease around them, etc.
    Again, not applicable.
    4. Do twins occasionally have issues becoming close friends with others due to their close bond?
    I don't see why they would. Most twins are very close, but that doesn't affect other relationships. All the twins I know function of their volition. They don't entirely depend on each other after they become teenagers and such, when they start going out without each other.

9. Miss Moon Jelly

Miss Moon Jelly New Member

Hi, I'm new so I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing by posting in an older thread with this question as opposed to starting a new one in Character Development.

I'm writing a novel in which the four main characters are two sets of non-identical twins, and I have some similar questions. I don't know a lot of twins, so any help on the subject would be really appreciated.

1. Do twins tend to be similar in terms of social skills? Is it unusual for one twin to be extroverted and one twin to be introverted?
    2. Do they tend to mature at a similar rate, particularly in elementary school?
    3. As they mature and friendships become a more important part of their lives, how much growing apart usually occurs? As teenagers would twins be likely to still be best friends?
    4. Does the birth order, as in which twin is older by a few minutes, usually have a psychological effect on their relationship? Will the first born twin feel like an older sibling?
    5. Will twins of opposite gender, a boy and a girl, have a drastically different relationship than twins that are both girls? Will opposite gender twins not be as close because of that difference, or would it make them less competitive because their individuality would be inherently established?

10. Similyn

Similyn New Member

I'm a fraternal twin. For 41 years now.

1. Do twins tend to be similar in terms of social skills? Is it unusual for one twin to be extroverted and one twin to be introverted?

I don't know if it's unusual or not, but my sister and I are exactly that. She's extroverted. I'm introverted.

2. Do they tend to mature at a similar rate, particularly in elementary school?

Yes. I'd say we matured about evenly.

3. As they mature and friendships become a more important part of their lives, how much growing apart usually occurs? As teenagers would twins be likely to still be best friends?

For my sister and I, we were pretty much just like any other sisters...although we were closer to each other than our other siblings. We've always had a bond that's kept us close even when we are separated by a continent.

4. Does the birth order, as in which twin is older by a few minutes, usually have a psychological effect on their relationship? Will the first born twin feel like an older sibling?

I was first born between my sister and I. I've always felt like both a middle child and the youngest child at the same time. The only psychological effect on our relationship as far as the birth order goes is just some teasing between us on occasion. No, I don't feel like an older sibling.

5. Will twins of opposite gender, a boy and a girl, have a drastically different relationship than twins that are both girls? Will opposite gender twins not be as close because of that difference, or would it make them less competitive because their individuality would be inherently established?

This one is not applicable to me. And I've never met boy/girl twins to compare my sister and I to, so sorry.

11. Miss Moon Jelly

Miss Moon Jelly New Member

Thanks, this is really helpful :)

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

fyi, NG's january issue has a great feature on twins... you might want to check it out...

13. SunnyDays

SunnyDays New Member

My mom is a twin. They are both very outspoken. One is whiny and the other gets uptight. I know they like to be a bit competitive with each other. The only reason my mom didn't like being a twin growing up, was because she was called 'one of the twins' all the time.

I know two young boys that are identical twins. I can tell them apart from their behavior. The one is more relational and caring while the other is more competitive and jokes around.

There were identical twins in my grade. The one failed seventh grade. That must have been embarrassing.