1. wrabel

wrabel Member

Sub-plot to main plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wrabel, Jul 27, 2018.

I'm outlining a book that is currently about a girl who gets thrown into a world where there are shapeshifters when one kills her brother... they have to stop an evil dude and kill the shapeshifter who killed her brother (rough summary) but as I'm outlining it's becoming more and more clear that one of the subplots has the most interest and development. The subplot is the romance between Madeleine and Marli. Madeleine is currently one of two narrators, but I have more for their romance than I do for Teagan's subplot, and even the main plot. I feel comfortable writing a romance or fantasy.

So I guess my question is should I keep the current plot and have the romance be a subplot or bring the romance to the forefront and have the current plot as a subplot? If I keep the current plot I'll have to work harder to develop an undeveloped plot, but if I change it, I'll have to rework stuff to make the romance be highlighted more. The romance plot has more mental stuff (internal struggles, bigotry, and trauma from abuse) while the current main plot has more action and a more 'good v. bad' structure.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

It's really just a matter of which one interests you more. If you're more into the romance plot, then put it in the spotlight.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree that going with the one that most interests you makes it more likely that you’ll finish writing the book, and that it will be a better book.

However, If you’re hoping to publish, especially traditionally, you could also look at whether one or the other is a more salable genre.

wrabel likes this.
  4. wrabel

wrabel Member

I decided that I'm going to make the romance subplot the main plot. Thank you!