1. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

The Flavor of a beet

Discussion in 'Research' started by Joe_Hall, Apr 17, 2022.

So I grew up eating beets...and I can taste them in my mouth...but for some reason, I cannot put words to the flavor...for those of you who have or still do eat beets, what would you call their flavor, particularly once cooked?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

They taste like... beets, I guess. Pretty unique flavor. Slightly sweet, slightly earthy, low acidity... don't know. On the cooking spectrum, they like sour things, whether pickled themselves or paired with other pickled things. In mixology, they're almost always paired with citrus to bump up the acidity. Salt too. Beet juice can essentially go straight into a margarita. I only mentioned those things because flavor sets are often determined by what they're not or what they are paired with to compensate.

Joe_Hall likes this.
  3. GeoffFromBykerGrove

GeoffFromBykerGrove Active Member

Currently Reading::
    "The Crossing" Cormac McCarthy, “Reality+” by David Chalmers
    To me they always taste like dirt and vinegar. In a good way.

Joe_Hall and Homer Potvin like this.
  4. Hummingbird Alley

Hummingbird Alley Member

That's a hard one...like describing color. Geoff is closer than anything I'm coming up with :)

Joe_Hall likes this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's not a bad description. One of my chefs has a crazy ability to describe flavor without comparing it to other foods. I'll ask her tomorrow if I remember.

Joe_Hall likes this.
  6. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I don't know how to describe any flavor. Beets taste like beets (unless they're very large beets, in which case they taste like dirt).

Hummingbird Alley and Joe_Hall like this.
  7. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Therein lies my problem...I think @GeoffFromBykerGrove is kind of close...usually, you can describe food items as sweet, tangy, sour, etc. In this case, even though I am intimately familiar with the flavor of beets...like @Homer Potvin said: beets taste like beets. I am writing a scene where one of my characters is eating a dish with beets in it, it is her first time experiencing it and I am trying to describe the flavor. I suppose I could go with earthy (even though this is in a fantasy world and not earth), I am rather loath to describe it as eating dirt--I don't think it does justice to the vegetable, no matter how much I hated it growing up.

I would appreciate the input from a professional!

8. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Well, beets are a source of sugar, and I find that smaller beets taste slightly sweet-ish. When they get large and old, though, they lose the sweetness and become tough and fibrous (the latter of which is not a taste attribute, but does contribute to the eating experience).

Joe_Hall likes this.
  9. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

IMHO they have a bit of a metal taste to them. Just a hint.
    If they are not pickled, they are very sweet. And firm in texture.
    And have the bit of dirt aroma you guys already mentioned.

Joe_Hall likes this.
  10. GeoffFromBykerGrove

GeoffFromBykerGrove Active Member

Currently Reading::
    "The Crossing" Cormac McCarthy, “Reality+” by David Chalmers
    go full phenomenology with it. Sit down and eat some and concentrate on what comes to
    mind, even memories and feelings. It’s rare for us to taste things we’ve never tasted before (at a certain age, obviously as a child it was pretty common) so try to revisit that. If you can’t taste beets for the first time, taste them again and focus on it in a way that makes it more intense.

Joe_Hall likes this.