1. MrSandman1924

MrSandman1924 New Member

Questions regarding Mosquitos and Vampires.

Discussion in 'Research' started by MrSandman1924, Jun 17, 2017.

Greetings, I am looking for assistance writing a vampire horror story. The premise of the tale is this, a guy summons a demon to make him into a vampire, as his girlfriend has a bit of a thing for vampire fiction. This being Louisiana in late spring he is bitten by mosquitos, who use his blood to produce eggs. These eggs hatch into Natural born Vampire mosquitoes while their mothers would be Turned Vampires by drinking his blood. The Natural Vampires would then lay Natural Vampire eggs no matter what they fed on. Some required information:

The Vampire Rules.
    * Drinking a Vampires blood turns you into a Vampire.
    * A Vampire drinking your blood causes a slight psychic link that increases the more blood taken.
    * A person who dies due to blood loss any time after being fed on (even years later) becomes a Thrall, an undead servant controlled by the will of the Vampire who fed on them.
    * If fed on by multiple Vampires the Thrall is most subservient to whichever fed the most, while still being subservient to the rest based on amount fed.
    * Vampires can be warded off with Holy Symbols, Garlic, and UV Light. Vampires can be injured or killed, dependant on where and how severe the wound are, by direct contact with Holy Symbols, Holy Water, Blessed Weapons, a wooden stake to the heart, direct sunlight, or complete destruction of the body, usually by fire or explosion.
    * Thralls are repulsed by Holy Symbols and Garlic, but can go near, and even touch them with effort. Thralls do not have a Vampires healing factor, and are immediately killed by damaging the brain or heart.
    * Vampires are immortal unless killed.

The Questions.
    How long would it take for the Natural mosquito Vampires to breed a swarm large enough for their first big attack to be termed the New Orleans Disaster if their breeding cycle and feeding habits did not differ from an average mosquito?
    What if they fed on 3x as much blood, and thus layed 3x as many eggs?
    Approximately how many would be eaten by birds and fish, thus leading to a rise in vampirism by those species?
    Should birds and fish and other animals vampirize easily? I want the mosquitoes to be the big threat, not eventual packs of Vampire bears, though the mosquitoes can only breed by virtue of using blood to create eggs, so there would be no other kinds of natural Vampires at least.
    What would be the Vampire mosquitoes eventual migration pattern as they depleated the food in the immediate area?
    Does anybody see any glaring holes or questions I may be missing?

Thank you for your assistance.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Probably not very long at all. Interwebz says that a mosquito goes from egg to pupa to hatching into an adult in around 10 days.

3. MrSandman1924

MrSandman1924 New Member

That would be logical, but that is assuming a maximum brood of 300 eggs standard, meaning 900 for the x3 Vampires, as opposed to the 100ish, thus 300ish average. It takes 220,000 standard female mosquitoes to kill 1 human of hypovolemic shock, meaning 6,600 super Vampire mosquitoes just to kill one human, and thats just to kill, what are the chances the Mosquitoes would stop at just killing the human, when it is much more likely that they would continue to feed in the nearest specimen as, even as Vampires, they still would just act on instinct. And that is assuming entirely female broods, when gender ratios are much closer to 1:1. Male mosquitoes are significantly smaller then their female counterparts and it is unlikely they share their natural ability to eat 3 times their weight even before vamping, due to not needing blood to produce eggs, which even then would be significantly less, but even my best googlefu is unable to find how much a male mosquito eats before being full, or even how much necter a female eats to get sustenance before taking blood for egg production, as all of this would need to be converted to blood for their vampire counterparts. Add this to the fact that protein rich blood is most likely much denser than sugary necter (does that even matter?) and you see why I came to a group of people to help me figure this out.

4. Myrrdoch

Myrrdoch Active Member

Problem: Mosquitoes are idiots.

A human that has been turned can very quickly learn to stay out of sunlight, on account of it'll kill the heck out of them. Mosquitoes... well, not so much, I'd imagine.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Wait - normal mosquitoes attack people and drink their blood ... how does a vampire mosquito differ ?

Also the general premise is that a vampire drinking your blood turns you, not the other way around.

and lastly vampires set in Louisiana invites comparisons with True blood and has really been done to death

6. MrSandman1924

MrSandman1924 New Member

Hmmm, yikes. That is a problem I had not accounted for. They would eventually instinctively avoid the sun, changing their sleep patterns slightly, especially if it's a dusk feeding species, but the first few broods would most likely loose many of their number to this.

Immortality is the true draw, that and standard repellant methods being ineffective. Mosquitoes are already one of the most deadly creatures on the planet due to the diseases they carry, this story simply expands that to supernatural levels.

Who drinks whoes blood is up to the lore you use, with many examples of both or even a sharing of blood, but the main reason I am doing it this way is that I want the mosquitoes to be the big threat, a force of nature and instinct, not intellegent, plotting, human Vampires. As to Louisiana, I was thinking more 'Interview', and as to done to death and cliche, well yeah a bit but that's a bit of the point. Though I strive for, if not scientific accuracy, at least scientific viability this is too much a B movie type plot to not go with an obvious cliche like that, also Louisiana has an impressive range of mosquito species.

Fernando.C likes this.
  7. Myrrdoch

Myrrdoch Active Member

Yeah. Now, that's not to say that small groups of vamp mosquitoes wouldn't be dangerous on the night they were turned.

And of course nothing saying that a particularly assholeish vampire isn't breeding a whole mess of them to go attack New Orleans.

8. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Wait - one single story with vampires in Louisiana and it's 'done to death'? Even though the OP's idea is clearly very different from True Blood? *facepalm*

S A Lee likes this.
  9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

6 series and I think about 12 books , hardly qualifies as one story ....

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What does the above quote mean? Why would mosquito mothers drink from the blood of their larvae...? Who's this "his" that's mentioned here?

As for glaring plot holes - I don't understand your premise. You've set out rules that say people are turned into vampires by drinking a vampire's blood. And you've said you want the mosquitoes specifically to be the genuine threat, and not an eventual pack of vampire bears.

But, how does that work? The mosquitoes are only an issue BECAUSE other species who eat them are being turned into vampires and in turn these vampire mammals, vampire dogs, vampire cats, vampire birds, would attack people. Normal mosquitoes already drink people's blood - and vampires can be injured and killed. Smack the mosquito and it's dead - it being a vampire wouldn't change that... so being "immortal" is irrelevant here. I guess you're going for "death by being stung by too many mosquitoes"? But household pets are going to prove a far deadlier threat, surely.

I also think this might be one of those stories that are unsuitable to the written medium. It's gonna take impossibly good writing prowess for you to make the description of a mosquito threatening, and readers are likely to laugh out loud if your characters freak out about seeing a mosquito.

He slammed the door shut, barely able to breathe. They're outside, the swarm so large he could feel the wooden walls hum with their wings. Quickly he scanned each corner, looking for holes, for cracks, for anything that might make his one defense redundant. His torchlight showed nothing, planks nailed together and grey wisps of cobwebs on garden tools. Wasn't there a time when he would rummage in this very shed, leaving the door wide opened without thought or care?

The swarm was passing - he could hear them, like the tapering of rain. He had to warn the others. Digging out his mobile phone, he began to type.

There, on the glow of the screen, was a mosquito.

I dunno about you, but I'd find that kinda funny...

This kind of thing looks imposing. The whine of a mosquito in your ear can become associated with terror or freak paranoia - you're really looking at a screenplay complete with powerful visuals and dramatic music. I'm not convinced it would work in narrative.

11. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Here's a vampire fact that might come in handy: the no reflection thing doesn't apply to modern mirrors. Source:
    [​IMG]
    Also, coconut water can be used as a blood substitute in emergency transfusions.