Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Judging a movie before it's release

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MilesTro, Jul 14, 2015.

Do you think it is stupid to judge a movie before it gets release to movie theaters based on its looks, different story, and the people who are cast in it. Lots of people are still complaining about the upcoming Fantastic Four movie, Jem and the Holograms, and the rebooted Ghostbuster movie. But we can't tell if those movies might become successful. What if those movies might make a lot of movie and have good stories, even if the fans hate them? It's like assuming a black guy is going to order fry chicken when he enters a KFC diner. Instead, he walks out with a bowl of salad. I don't think those movies will be successful because they avoid the original source material. What do you think?

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  2. AsherianCommand

AsherianCommand Active Member

first that is stereotyping, it is different than prediction.
    Sometimes.

Sometimes not
    I believe surely that most times that those expectations I have are usually correct. When I see trailers and they include some-type of prophecy. I immediately am doubtful about the movie. I doubt movies alot though. As most movies I see are usually good, but I am very judgmental. Though I am the guy who said that the fountain was the most boring movie i have ever seen.

Sometimes I don't, and sometimes I do. I mean the ghostbusters film reboot, I am doubtful of. Because it has been thrown back and forth for ages. And I am not onboard for an all female cast because all one gender casts are usually pretty hard to pull off. The Fantastic four movie. Based on previous material. It doesn't look like they will change much. Its more of experience more than anything.

3. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I don't see a problem with judging a movie before its release. You can hate the trailer, disagree with the cast choices, but the movie itself can still surprise you. You can change your opinion while the movie's still being made. What's the problem with saying you think you will or will not like a movie before you see it?

Being racist is not the same thing as making your opinion known on a piece of entertainment.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    jannert likes this.
  4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

But the all MALE cast of the original Ghostbusters was no problem, right?

As for the question at hand, I think people know what they like. And judging a movie by its trailer is no different than judging a book by its blurb. People see things that may work for them and things that may not. But how successful a movie is and how much money it makes isn't going to change how I feel about a movie.

I hated Paranormal Activity. It made me laugh, not scream. That movie made loads of money. I still hated it. Same with 50 Shades of Grey. I knew how anticipated the movie was, I knew very little of the story itself, and I decided not to watch it based on its trailer. After discovering what it was about, I'm glad I didn't watch it. Because it's not my kind of movie.

As for the new Ghostbusters.. Some people just don't like when you mess with classic movies. Ghostbusters has a cult following. They don't want Hollywood to ruin the Ghostbusters name, especially since reboots are typically not nearly as good as the original.

Personally, I want to see the new Ghostbusters. But I don't see it as a reboot, but more like a sequel. And I'm excited to see what they've come up with.

5. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I don't normally judge movies before release, but come on. This new Fantastic Four movie is an exception. The trailer was hands-down one of the worst attempts at creating excitement that I've ever seen. I have yet to see a single person that's genuinely hyped for the film.
    At one point, I think the bar on Youtube showed more dislikes than likes.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm pretty sure this is the reaction to all new comic movies. Good thing too, they are usually bloody awful.

I don't want to see the all-female Ghostbusters, judging on the way it's been promoted. And no it's not because it's an all women cast - I frankly couldn't give less of a flying shit about what is or isn't between their legs, my problem is the original Ghostbusters came out in a different time. If the film likes it or not, the new is going to be unfavourably compared to the old - and the style and atmosphere that made the original so good seems to have been lost since the more bombastic 1980s.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. Lea`Brooks

I agree with most of this. I don't think anything will compare to the original, even if they can get Bill Murray on board. But the truth is, we don't know much about what they're doing with this movie. The trailer hasn't even been released yet, so we're really just making speculations on what the media has released.

My "all male" remark was only toward Asherian because he said one gender casts don't work, while the cast of the original Ghostbusters was all male... So how would an all female be any different?

ETA: After looking at IMDb, the credits say that Chris Hemsworth is in it. So no matter what role he plays, looks like it won't be ALL female.. ;)

8. Lemex

@Lea`Brooks - Ah, sorry, I'll admit I misread - didn't understand until I looked back over and read both posts in full, and now I feel very silly. :3

He is a very handsome man. I might be watching it after all. :p

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  9. Masked Mole

I've seen the good side to pretty much every superhero trailer, even if I don't personally like the characters involved. They done goofed with this new FF movie.

10. Lemex

You even saw the good in The Avengers? I saw right through that for the 'Please give us money' grab it turned out to be.

11. Masked Mole

Every trailer is a money grab, really. I'm not sure if you're talking about the trailer for the first one or the trailer for the sequel. Personally, I really enjoyed the trailer for Age of Ultron.
    Even though I want to be skeptical about the Suicide Squad movie, they might make a decent film out of it. I saw the trailer, and it was pretty okay.

12. Lemex

Yeah, that's true.

And I'm completely sceptical about this 'Suicide Squad' thing. Will Smith looks confused in the poster, and I don't know enough about Harley Quinn to agree with friends that she has been sexualized for the film - but it looks like something for teenaged boys to gawk at to me. It just looks so lame, and the sneak previews have only made me think that more. I'm willing to watch it to let it change my mind, but I'm not holding out much hope.

13. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Supposedly because of all the uproar about the all woman cast they are also going to make an all male Ghostbusters sequel as well.

As for judging movies, that's exactly what trailers are for. Have you seen the new Deadpool trailer?

*Language and Violence

By the trailer of this, would you judge it as a movie you would want to see? Personally I love the fact there are comic book characters in it I like, plus they intertwine comedy well with violence. Personally I think a great trailer which is judged by the people, plays an undeniable role in the films success.

14. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

That Annie Potts was a damned fine-looking man in the original, too, and I've always liked Mr. Sigourney Weaver. I'm waiting for the all-male remake of Charlie's Angels.

15. AsherianCommand

Did I say that? I said, All the same gender casts are hard to pull off. Usually if you want to appeal to a whole audience and different demographics, it is good to have a mix of genders. Do not take my words and twist them.
    Oh what was it that I said again

Completely ignoring what I said and just going after a certain sentence without context of the whole paragraph. Ah the wonders....

I am fine with the ghost busters being female, that is fine, it is the ladies turn, but it will be hard to replicate the previous casts success. Those guys had decades of experience and a ton of work that they put into the idea itself. They knew what was on the script but most of it was just working together to produce a script. I am only doubtful it will be good because not the cast, but because it might not be a large enough appeal and how long we have been waiting for the next ghostbusters movie. The thing is it isn't going to be as good as the originals. Because well the originals weren't all that great. They were good movies, without a doubt, but they were not the best movies of their time.

16. Lea`Brooks

I didn't ignore what you said. I saw it and interpreted it as it was stated. You said you were skeptical of the new Ghostbusters movie because an all one gender cast is hard to pull off. You didn't say anything in the one paragraph about: the talent/experience of the previous actors, how much thought went into the original versus the new, how new versions are never as good as the original, etc. You said, specifically, one gender casts are hard to pull off. How did I misinterpret that? I didn't. You just didn't communicate your reasons properly. Not my fault. :)

17. AsherianCommand

So your first thoughts were that I was sexist? Instead of thinking: "Does he actually mean this? Or should I ask for a clarification before ripping his head off?"

18. Lea`Brooks

Whoa, let's not get dramatic. If I was ripping your head off, you'd know it.

I did ask a question, though. Two, in fact.
    ...to which you responded by saying that you were only suggesting a mixed gender cast would appeal to more people. And I agree with you.

Problem solved. :)

AsherianCommand likes this.
  19. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

A superhero with a sarcastic super power. I am so there. :love:

20. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Deadpool is going to be awesome. That is the only trailer that impressed me. But the upcoming DC movies look too dark for me. I think the Batman movies are better off as dark movies, and Man of Steel doesn't fit well being dark. Superman should be colorful as his cartoon series, including the Sucidie Squad, except with dark humor. Why should the Sucidie Squad be placed on a dark emotional base? It should be like the Expendiable movies with recognizable villains. I will still check out those movies, but Marvel will still be at the top.

21. AsherianCommand

AHHH MY HEAD IS GONE!

Reason AH! Run for your lives!

I would agree.

I always was a fan of X-men. I liked the newer x-men. Then I saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep after that I reserved the right to make fun of the costumes of everyone involved. I will still watch it. But I sure as helk won't be paying for a movie ticket.

MilesTro likes this.
  22. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

That definitely doesn't look like Apocalypse.

23. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Well

Like I've always told you in our previous conversations, I don't think superheroes are your thing....like there could be comics you like out there but I think you just don't get or like superheroes in general very much, which is fine.

To each his own.

But here is what Harley used to look like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See she was in the cartoons first but was so popular they put her in the main canon and she had that look.

But in 2011 they made some big changes and updated her costume.

Which now is more like this

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20141119185025/marvel_dc/images/5/58/Harley_Quinn_Vol_2_1_2nd_Printing_Textless.jpg

And

[​IMG]

Soooooooooo

as you can see the more classic look is more steeped in like what an actual Harlequin vibe what with the tights and the hat. Also her face just has make up on it as opposed to being bleached white.

New look has bleached white skin and a more lingerie vibe.

24. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

The new Harley Quinn looks like a clown, and the Joker looks like a crazy punk rocker.

25. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

You're supposed to judge a movie before they are released. That's what trailers are for. I personally don't find any interest in the new Fantastic Four movie because it makes no sense to send a bunch of kids in space unlike the original where they were all grown men who were scientists and such.

Asking why people judge a movie by it's trailer is like asking why people judge a book by it's blurb. They're both meant to draw the reader/watching in to reading/watching the full story. And if they don't do their job than that's that.

jannert likes this.