1. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Rewarding beta readers

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Naomasa298, Jul 3, 2022.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

What is considered "normal" as a reward for beta reading and offering a review?

Is it normally unpaid work? Is a credit in the work normally considered sufficient?

Someone elsewhere has offered this as a reward for beta reading a work that has been edited by an "award winning editor". I wasn't convinced that this was the right thing to do (I mean, wouldn't you want a professional beta reader if your work is that kind of quality?). But then, what do I know about it? Then I thought, I know just the place to ask!

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Never heard of rewarding a beta reader, but why not, if you wanna offer one. Paid beta readers exist but it's also just as commonly believed that beta-reading should be done for free. I think people go for paid because it's hard to find volunteers to do it for free lol. A reward would probably help entice more readers. I don't really think it matters. Offer a reward if you wish to thank them :) No harm done, no one's gonna complain about that.

3. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

https://www.writingforums.org/rules/
    Does a credit in the work count as a commercial payment? And is it something that would be within the writer's gift or is it at the publisher's discretion?

Cdn Writer and Naomasa298 like this.
  4. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Giving them credit is award enough I would say. But if, IF, you make it big, why not send them an ample sum for their troubles? No harm in that, right?

For me, people around me want to read my book, both people in my writer's circle, friends, and family. I guess that they will be my beta readers. It would be optimal to have strangers do it, but willing strangers are hard to come by. As to the people in my writer's circle, I will just offer to read their work as compensation.

Cdn Writer, petra4 and Naomasa298 like this.
  5. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

I feel that if you pay beta readers for doing beta reads you are less and less likely to hear what you need and more what they think you want to hear. I've rarely had problems finding beta readers...like @Madman said I also have friends, family, and such that have no issues being brutally honest if the pacing is off, certain parts make no sense, etc. I might consider discussing the book over lunch I pay for as compensation...but cold hard cash is not on the table.

6. Idiosyncratic

Idiosyncratic Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Six of Crows
    For most beta readers, getting a good book for free is the payment (and you should be looking for betas who like the kind of stuff you write). A physical copy of the final product would be an appropriate show of thanks, and if they provided extraordinarily helpful feedback, perhaps a mention in the acknowledgements. If a family member or friend, perhaps do a favor in return or treats to a meal.

A beta reader is a test reader who gives you their impressions. This might be helpful, but it’s a lot less work than an actual paid editor, and does not entitle them to a portion of your profits or anything like that (you’re the one that implements any changes, it’s still all your work)

Cdn Writer and Naomasa298 like this.
  7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

In the past with beta readers I had a form with questions to help prompt the readers. I told them to use if if they thought it would help. Some did, some didn't, but most used it partially. Then what I did was take them to dinner and discuss their thoughts on the novel, and fleshing out their answers to the questions. I also listed them in the acknowledgement section of the novel, and gave them a free copy of the novel when it was published.

One thing with beta readers, in my experience, is that getting ones that provide solid insight into improving the tale is about 50%. Having ones that are well-read in the genre, or just widely-read readers is very helpful. I have also learned that about 50% actually follow through in the reading. And that's okay and I thanked the people for offering anyway.

As an side, one of my focuses was to see if readers independently came up with the same concerns, and also what they thought worked really well in the novel. Those I gave extra attention to in considering any possible revision. I strove to give them a near final version of the novel, with as few typos and deficiencies as I could, otherwise I felt the readers would focus more heavily on those (or get distracted) and not be as effective in picking up on any more subtle concerns.

Every beta reader appeared satisfied with what occurred as "payment" and most volunteered for future novels.

Terry

Cdn Writer, evild4ve and Naomasa298 like this.
  8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think you can thank whoever you want in the acknowledgments. And I would thank everyone who helped along the way to get my work published. But I would not say that the work has been edited bu an "award winning editor." I would just stick to actual names and maybe titles like your agent and the editor you work with at the actual publishing house and leave it at that.

Before I had even heard of beta readers, I did higher an editor to go over my work and get some advice. She sure did know her stuff and had publishing contacts she graciously shared. She is well established and sort of can pick and choose what projects she works on. She also was very knowledgeable about the market, having a career in publishing prior to being an editor-for-hire.I couldn't hire her for long term, but I do believe she is worth the money. I found her through the contacts I had in publishing.

Since then I have always gone with free options. Most of my friends are writers and regularly up for swapping work. And I have met some great people on the forum that I've traded works with too. I think it can be important to know where the feedback is coming from. Trading writing allows you to see where someone else is in their abilities and technique. That too can be helpful when taking in feedback. And, sure, anyone who plays any sort of hand helping my novel make it into print with get a thank you in the acknowledgment section.

Cdn Writer and evild4ve like this.
  9. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I've thanked my betas in the dedication page of my books. I usually offer quid pro quo with mine as well, in that I am happy at any time to return the favor and beta their work. I've been taken up on it at least half the time.

JLT and Cdn Writer like this.
  10. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I did have one beta reader do it for free, but it was her idea after my girlfriend told her that I was writing. Obviously I put her name in the acknowledgements, and gave her a signed copy.
    Got my other beta readers from Fiver, which admittedly can be hit or miss, but I did get one who did a thorough job. Forty something bucks was all that cost me. I don't know if that's a lot in the world of paid beta reading. She had to make it through a 98k novel, so... Some compensation seemed fair.

I did get some advice on this very forum some time ago to ask around for beta readers here. Even got an offer from someone to read, but I felt uncomfortable about it. Not that I was worried they'd steal my stuff, but it just seemed to me that if I make some read "my crap", they should be compensated.
    I also hear a lot about tit-for-tat beta reading, which also didn't quite work for me. This might be a daft thing for a writer to say, but I don't enjoy reading very much. Used to, but then Playstation happened. Anyway, even if I did, I wouldn't know how to provide a proper beta read.

Needlessly long story short, I prefer paid beta reads. It's kinda like hookers. A clear business arrangement. You know you won't have to worry about making them breakfast in the morning.

Cdn Writer and evild4ve like this.
  11. evild4ve

By jove that's it! Lots of hookers do weird stuff. I'll tell them it's a bedtime story.

12. Segow

Segow Member

I won't lie - if I've put in a serious amount of work in the beta process (and the book is seen through publication) I will ask for a signed copy. I've actually done this on NetGalley, as well, with those authors with whom I have ended up exchanging long emails with regarding the work itself.

~S

Cdn Writer likes this.
  13. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

Check Fiverr to find out how much beta readers charge.

14. evild4ve

Has anyone had good experiences with fiverr? Is it within WF's forum rules to recommend specific sellers there?

15. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

That, and a signed free copy of the book. And if I'm writing non-fiction and friends of mine get mentioned anywhere in the book, they get free copies of it as well. It's my way of signaling that I've valued their friendship.

16. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure if it's against the rules, so I'm not recommending anyone, but I did have good experiences.
    There are a lot of duds there as well, so the recommendation I will make is to not settle for the first one that pops up. I got a proofreader once in a hurry because I screwed up my logistics, and she just made the whole thing worse.
    On the other side of the spectrum, I got a betareader once who did such a good job she could almost be considered an editor.

As with all things concerning hit or miss scenarios, you need to take your time to aim.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Catrin Lewis and evild4ve like this.
  17. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Oh yes, I forgot about that, in the past when I've received author copies I would keep a couple for myself and the rest would go to my betas. I had to ship one all the way to New Zealand from the U.S. once!

18. evild4ve

Am I reading the Rules rightly that it's allowed to recommend specific beta-readers on Fiverr, so long as we're not "affiliated or stand to benefit from in any way?

I've just had an absolute breakthrough with Fiverr, first time after 4 abortive attempts to find anyone here on WF.
    But it's only been around a few years hasn't it? And it's easy to imagine problems with WF users wanting to make money via Fiverr or Fiverr sellers spamming writing forums.

19. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

If they've read the whole thing and given useful critique, I give them a copy of the book once it's printed. Whether they want it or not. :supergrin:

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  20. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Just read a book on web design wherein the author suggested giving the beta-reader/amateur editor a bounty of a dollar for every typo or dead link he/she found. Something like that might work as a token offering for a novel beta-reader.

21. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

But a novel manuscript could contain thousands of errors... o_O :nosleep: