1. AnonEMoss

AnonEMoss New Member

Publishing Short Stories - Easy?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by AnonEMoss, Aug 15, 2010.

Okay well, I know it's not easy, but it's got to be a helluva lot easier than publishing a novel.

I have few really nice short stories, and I've decided I should try to get them published if for no other reason than it would look good in my future queries.

I have no idea how to go about this...

Do you guys have a list of the usual places to submit? Like magazines that accept unsolicited queries, or where ever else people publish short stories. I really have no idea.

All I know is that my writing is solid, and the stories are both entertaining and enlightening. Now I just need to figure out how to let people see them. ;)

Thanks in advance for your advice! It is much appreciated! (and needed)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your primary resource should be Duotrope's Digest.

3. AnonEMoss

AnonEMoss New Member

Thank you my friend, you rock.

4. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Duotrope's is all right, but when I search on it I tend to get a lot of online publishing. Which is fine, but I don't see many literary journals come up on Duotrope's. Poets and Writers: Database of Literary Magazines and Journals is a complete (or as near to complete as one can be.) listing of all of the literary journals that are out there. Combined with Duotropes and you have quite a few markets at your fingertips.

1 person likes this.
  5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It really depends what you're writing. I write genre fiction, and duotrope is great for that.

And short stories are definitely not an easy option.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good additional listing, erik!... thanks for posting... i've added it to my tips/info for writing mentees collection...

hugs, m

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

8. erik martin

Welcome. It isn't as easy to do a specific search as duotropes, but it's a good site nonetheless.

9. izanobu

izanobu New Member

Also, make sure you are familiar with standard manuscript format. Very important when submitting short stories to make sure the formatting doesn't damage the editor's eyes :) Always follow the magazine's guidelines! (most want the full story with a very short and sweet cover letter.)

Basically if you want to get short stories published, write a lot of them, keep them in the mail (one magazine at a time though, don't sim-sub), and put them back out to some place new if a story is rejected. It really just takes persistence (and good writing) :)

10. AnonEMoss

AnonEMoss New Member

Thanks everybody!

I'm loving this place, everyone is so helpful!

11. erik martin

I have noticed that it seems like more and more journals and other mags are allowing simultaneous submissions as long as it is noted as such.

12. izanobu

izanobu New Member

True, Erik, but why would you sim-sub? You can't get magazine editors to bid on a story, so why put yourself in the position where you'd have to tell an editor that "no, I've sold that now". Short stories can't get into auction situations, so why bother sim-subbing? Easier for everybody is to just send in one story to one magazine at a time. If you're writing enough stories, this becomes necessary anyway since you'll likely have so many stories out you'll need the markets free for new stuff :)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the problem with sim-subbing to those who accept such is that it keeps you from being able to submit to any of those who don't...