3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Superwolly123

Superwolly123 New Member

Small idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Superwolly123, Aug 13, 2017.

I had an idea about a story (stoned) I may like to write or pursue writing in the future. I am hoping for honest feedback as to whether this sounds like it could have some potential or it's just me.

It is set in Japan 30/40 years into the future so the idea of fame is an even bigger necessity to a lot more people than it is now.

Each city/town or local village has a huge screen that is only used to display the name of a person. To have your name displayed to the whole country you have to reach a level of fame that makes you stand out from everyone in the country. It is a very hard day rare thing to do as it has only been done 2-3 times before.

Having your name on this screen ensures everyone in Japan will have their attention focussed on you as it is so rare it has become a huge event that makes the country stand still and watch their local screen.

If you do this then you go down as one of the very few people to achieve this and therefore creating an everlasting sense of fame and popularity.

Because it is so rare and difficult to have your name on every screen in the country people often plot against each other to diminish their levels of fame and many unorthodox and controversial methods are used to increase fame and popularity.

All (if any) feedback will be appreciated.

2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I think it could be a very interesting premise. I like the idea of the screen in every town and village. It automatically raises a lot of questions about the world we're introduced to. Like, why is there a screen instead of every one just getting this news on their phones? If people don't have phones, why not? Is it because of resource shortages, mass unemployment, or war rationing? Who implemented the idea of these screens and why? Were their motives commercial or political? Why are people so driven towards this fame? Will they receive better treatment for them and their families in the form of access to food or medical support that the average person can't get? It has the potential to a good story depending on how you write it. Good luck with it.

Moon and Trish like this.
  3. Teresa Mendes

Teresa Mendes Member

I really like the idea. What is the benefit of being so popular though? It's just the fame or are there other benefits? Is it worth killing for? Sounds intriguing =)

There is one episode of Black mirror where everything have pastel tones and people are rated by their popularity that may contribute as inspiration. I think it is called "Nosedive".

4. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

As I read your idea, my thoughts kept going to a story about an underground company that gets paid a lot by a spoiled kid's parents to hack the machine and put their kid's name up on it & all that can come about from that.

5. Eliza Rain

Eliza Rain Member

I like it! Keep developing it as there would definitely be a social media aspect to this. An app, or whatever it is to track the fame level of each person and why. Assassins would be hired, backstabbing would ensue, the works, haha. I'd be interested to see the benefits of this fame however. Is this based on the government? How is the fame decided upon? Followers are the closest thing I can think of currently, but keep going you have a lot of potential here!

6. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The who, what and why behind the fame would be interesting to hear. Do famous people get better social benefits? Money, power etc? Who decides who is the most famous? (I assume it is the current Prime Minister or Emperor/Empress) Why did they make such a system? (War, natural disaster etc) What happens to the people who aren't famous? (Killed off, sacrificed, exiled, feed to a starving population?)

If I read your op correctly though, you were stoned when you came up with this idea? Lol. :superlaugh:

P.S. It's a great idea, m8.

7. WNP

WNP Member

It sounds a little bit like 'Extras' - the 4th book in the 'Uglies' series.