1. King Rangvald X1111

King Rangvald X1111 New Member

Writing Choreography

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by King Rangvald X1111, Jun 24, 2018.

So, my current project is a medieval fantasy novel with minimal magic, so there is a lot of clanging steel and that sort of combat, and a couple of the core characters (including MC) are escaped slave dancers (not erotic).

I really kinda like my setup, one of the antagonists has connections to MCs old slavemaster,, and other stuff. My only problem, I'm not the best at writing good fight choreography that flows smoothly, and I have no idea how to write dance choreography.

So, if you guys have any tips for how to write stuff like this, or have a free course that might be helpful, it would be very appreciated. Thank You.

Wreybies likes this.
  2. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I was a professional belly dancer for 10 years. My suggestion is to try to find a style of dance that is similar to how you picture your dancers performing, and then watch as many YouTube videos you can find. Then think about how you would describe the dancer's movements to someone who's never seen them. You might also try to duplicate the movements yourself to get a sense of how those movements might feel to execute. You don't really need to write the choreography out, because that would be boring and way to much detail IMO, but more really be able to describe the dance and the dancers.

I had a fairly extensive (and self-indulgent) scene with belly dancers in my first book, but because of my experience it came to me very easily.

Alan Aspie likes this.