1. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

Print Getting your work printed

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by becca, Mar 27, 2009.

Yesterday, a poem I wrote for the Forum's Weekly Poetry Contest got printed in my local paper! I didn't get paid, but it was right there in print!

My local news paper has a program called 'Your Turn,' and you can submitt stories, poetry, and stuff. They print them as they have space on the Community page. So you don't get paid or anything. But you do get your stuff, and your name in the paper!

It is good for cover letters too. You just tell them that you had some stuff in your local paper. Helps to start building a name for yourself.

I would encourage you to contact your local news paper and ask about any programs they might have to get your stuff in there.

The poem was the Soul's Rebirth poem, it's on my blog if you would like to read it.

2. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Well done becca!:)

That's a good idea and my local paper is very supportive - and so is the regional radio station, with an Arts programme every Saturday night where local writers are encouraged to share their work, commercially published or not.

I have been writing for a magazine for over ten years and I am pleased to be counted as a regular contributor, despite not being paid. It has enabled me to meet new people who come up to me to comment on what I have written and is a great incentive to continue and improve.

My writers' group is going to contribute to an anthology of work from the groups in the county which was done a few years ago and there is a desire amongst members to do it again and show what talent there is locally.
    As you say, it gives you something for the CV if you need it! :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I;m not sure how helpful it would really be to include that information in a cover letter or query, but congratulations on getting published!

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

The greatest benefit of your good fortune is the effect it has on enthusiasm and confidence. As Cog says, it won't carry any weight with most literary agents but what if it gives you the incentive to actually begin submitting your work for paid publication? That's the real value. So, congratulations on getting published and use the momentary thrill to drive your writing career forward.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

congratulations!

sorry to say, it's true that agents and publishers only want to know if you have any paid credits, so it's not a good idea to mention freebies... but, as has been noted, it's still a nice, often-needed ego boost...

love and hugs, maia

6. nat

nat New Member

Congratulations, Becca!
    Awesome feeling. Hold on to it!

7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Definitely something to celebrate over since it's a good sign. :-D

Don't know about my local newspaper though....