Tags:
  1. kehl

kehl New Member

Independent Newspaper Internship

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kehl, Sep 5, 2008.

Worth it?

Right now I am attending 13 credit hours at a community college, while working about 15 hours in a very easy work study job. This particular internship is unpaid and requires 15 hrs be dedicated a week. Now, my question is: Journalism isn't exactly the field I prefer, my preferance would be a more "freelance" style of work. That being said is an internship going to be good experience for someone like me, or is it going to be unneeded strain?

2. ciavyn

ciavyn New Member

If the internship is legit, and is going to give you more experience than getting someone his morning coffee, anything you can get on your resume as a college student is going to give you a better bid in the working world.

Businesses dislike hiring college students who have nothing but schooling on their record, because they have train them from the ground up, and have to deal with a person who has not had a lot of real world - and real workplace - experience. If you can manage it, and it's a good opportunity, I would encourage you to go for it. The more experience and skill you bring to the table, the better off you'll be.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'll second what ciavyn said. This seems like a great place to practice writing, and I'm guessing since this is an internship, there will be someone there to guide you. If you feel like you can juggle the 30 hrs a week with your classes, then I say go for it.