1. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

Finding a good Editor online

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Phoenix Hikari, Mar 9, 2013.

I'm getting seriously into writing this novel thing of mine, but I need a good editor. Currently I don't live in a place where I can access an editor locally, so it'd probably be an online contract thingy. I am not an amazing writer and I probably need a good one that doesn't cost too much. I was wondering if anyone here can help me by pointing out an editor or a way to getting a reliable one by online means?

Ah, the story contain meld violence and dark themes, it's probably called dark fantasy.

Would appreciate it.

2. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

I'm also interested in this. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You don't need an editor. Become your own editor. No unpublished author should be wasting money on an editor. It won't make you more publishable, it will only cost you money you shouldn't be spending.

A published author with a contract and deadlines MAY want to look into finding an editor, but even that can be an expensive and time consiming process, because you need an editor who understands your personal writing style and will respect it. That means trying several and taking the time to discuss their changes with them, and how they can help in the future.

Now if you need a writing tutor, that is a different matter entirely. Make sure you understand the difference! You need someone who is primarily a teacher, and one who will also encourage you to find your own voice.

4. Phoenix Hikari

Yeah, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I guess what I am really looking for is a mentor rather than an editor. I haven't published before, so being mentored is important for my stage at writing.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a full time mentor of aspiring writers, so feel free to email me if you want to discuss becoming a mentee... it's totally free, no strings attached, but does not include editing or rewriting your ms... i will, however, show you how to do it yourself, if you're up to it skills-wise...

i also do editing and rewrites for paying clients, as well as providing tutoring, but you have to understand that good editors and writers and tutors don't come cheap... and the cheap ones won't be worth what they charge... the main down side, however, is that even the best of the best can't guarantee that the edited/rewritten book will ever interest an agent or paying publisher, and even the world's best tutor can never guarantee that the student will turn out to be a publishable writer... so that money must be money you can afford to toss down the drain... which is why i don't take on a client for such work unless s/he can justify the expense solely as a learning experience...

if you still want to search for an editor or tutor, be sure to check p&e before contacting any you find in a google search, to make sure they're not listed there as 'not recommended' for one reason or another... and if they're not listed there at all, that does not mean they're ok, just that no one has submitted them to the site yet... there are many scam artists out there and even more service providers who are not worth one-tenth of what they charge and can do much more damage than good, so be sure to vet them very thoroughly, before hiring one... and always ask for a sample edit/rewrite/lesson/whatever...

if you want to be a professional writer, you will have to be able to edit your own work and have professional level mss to offer agents and publishers... that's the hard fact of life bottom line...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

6. Phoenix Hikari

I'd have loved to work with you but you don't take in any work that contain violence.

That's a good advice, thank you.

Yeah, I understand that and I am working on it. I don't want to find an editor or tutor just so I can be lazying around while they do my work. I love writing and that's why I want to learn.

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

A word of advice - writing is a lonely journey in finding ways to successfully tell stories that are meaningful to us. Vast majority of great writers didn't have any writing mentors or tutors beyond what they got in school from a teacher, and for a good reason - those who depend on tutors and editors usually don't make it. Your best tutors are life and great literature. Ok, a few how-to writing books too.

Having unquenching thirst for reading, judging your own work by the standards of the masters and finding courage to put your stories out despite almost certain rejection and failure. These are the things that make great writers and nobody can hand-hold you or even tell you how to do this. You can do this on your own, most other people do. But it takes time and a lot of practice.