1. VDOG

VDOG New Member

Nearing sixty

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VDOG, Nov 6, 2016.

I'm wishy washy. I fear sucking big time. . But I'm almost sixty and other people tell me I should write. So.
    And honestly, I do like to write. And read.
    I'm timid and afraid though of putting myself out...wherever "there" is these days.

matwoolf likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ach, don't let your age stop you.

How close to being 'out there' are you, at the moment? Have you got finished work to show? Have you let other people see your writing?

One thing age does bring (and I'm 67) is the feeling that "if not now, when?"

If you love reading and writing, you're probably streets ahead of the people who love one or the other, but not both. You'll have a feeling for what written work is like. If there's stuff you still need to learn, you can learn it, no bother.

This is the best time ever for learning, actually. You've got online resources, large forums like this one filled with other people who are interested in writing. And as far as fearing 'sucking' we will never know who you are unless you tell us, so your anonymity is assured. You can creep back into the woodwork at any time and nobody will know. But we're all in the same boat, and all 'suck' to some degree. I've learned a lot since I joined this forum, and am still learning.

You've got access to zillions of books to help writers learn specific tasks, or just techniques for overall improvement. You've got wordprocessors that enable you to write easily, correct easily, save your discarded work in case you need to go back to it later on, etc. If you make changes in your manuscript, you don't need to go back and retype (or rewrite) the whole thing. Hey.

If not now, when?

Ameshin and VynniL like this.
  3. Ameshin

Ameshin Member

Hi Mickey. Welcome! (I'm a fairly new member too.)

I understand your concern ( although I've just recently turned 30 ) I've barely ever written anything so, even though I'm not taking it too seriously it is a little daunting. I can't subjectively look at my work and tell if its something I can say I'm proud of or not.

In any case, I don't think age should be any sort of factor in holding you back. If it's something you want to do go for it :)

By the way if you figure out where "there" is let me know. I think I'm lost :p

4. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Welcome! I'm not sure where is there either. But I'm always encouraging the older folks I know in real life and online to write, especially the ones who have lived a full and colorful life. I imagine these wonderful stories locked in these people's mind with no outlet of expression and it always seems a terrible shame. Drives me crazy and I'd like to shake the stories out of them. For good or bad, it's an expression of you, and you should just enjoy the process of growth as you write. I sincerely hope you have fun on the journey.

5. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I usually ask myself when I'm going to be fifty again. Go ahead and write - you have nothing to lose.