Tags:
  1. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

How old were you when you started writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Faith*Hope*Love, Aug 3, 2009.

I was eleven. When I wanted to make a movie and my mother told me to write out a script for the actors and actresses. :) As I started writing the over all story, I couldn't stop, and actually completely forgot about my movie. Hehe. It was called The War of the Stone. Its only 30 pages long, while my other novels are up to 300. :D

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

About six.

It was absolutely awful, but no end of fun, and I just kept on doing bits of writing until I got serious about it at about age ten.

3. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

Cool! Thanks for posting :)

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

On and off since I was 11. I only started taking it seriously from about 18 on though.

5. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I was thirteen. I was bored. It was a rainy lunchtime, and I was in the library on my own (after friends had been given lunch detention for some indiscretion or other - I can't remember what it was now). The good books had all gone... so I thought I'd write one. It was written in a fortnight, and was awful. The next one was better, and I had help. Then I was the opening cutscene to Final Fantasy IX, and I started jiggling features of it, inventing characters, and thus Labyrinthine Ways was born.

Seven years on, it's still unfinished.

6. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

About seven or so- pretty much as long as I could read and print.

7. Ferb

Ferb New Member

I don't think I ever got serious about writing. I wrote a bunch of one-page stories when I was six (they all came with morals in the end and everything) and I completely my first >2000-word story when I was thirteen, but mostly I write when I feel like it... and only until something else piques my interest.

8. hoodwinked

hoodwinked New Member

I think I figured it out a bit ago, but I forgot again. It was back when I was writing sentences like these: I like to hop. She hops. Then she hops again.

My little brother writes like that, and he's seven... so I guess about that age.

9. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I was six years old.

I had a love for storytelling much earlier than age six --I can remember extending stories from movies I had watched or retelling the story of The Lion King (my favourite Disney film as a little girl) the way I saw fit, and when I learned to read, I told my mother the bedtime stories she used to tell me --but I told them differently, to see if she was paying attention. :D

But it was actually when I moved to my current city at age six that I put words to paper, something that was actually inspired by the other little girl across the street. She wrote stories, and I told stories. I eventually learned that putting my ideas to paper was much more exciting. We were writing buddies for almost a decade after that, before we finally parted ways. :)

10. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

Five, when I learned to write my name.

I was so proud.

11. LunarKnite

LunarKnite New Member

Wow. You guys started young. I only wrote for school up until I was 13. That's when I started writing poetry and trying to write creative fiction.

12. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I was five or six when I started writing. My mom still has the first book I wrote. :)

13. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I think I was ten or eleven when I wrote a story for me, so not for school.

14. Primitive

Primitive New Member

The first story i wrote was when i was in pre school. I remember it clearly, when they gave me onange finger paint. I just started writing a story about some cartoon i'd seen (i remember the show to this day, but for the life i me i dont know its name, nor can remember much of its plot, just imagines). Sadly i could not read what i wrote, being so unreadable that it was.

Picked it up more when i was about eight.

15. murphcas

murphcas New Member

I began to write stories probably when I was 6 or 7 I guess. My dad used to drop me and my sisters off at the baby sitters and she encouraged me to write. She kept a folder for me and her house with any stories I wrote in it, and I mostly wrote at her house. I remember writing a story about roses but I don't remember what happened.

I wrote my first full book (don't know how many words it was though but I know it couldn't have been over 1,000 words) when I was in 5th grade. It spawned from my teacher putting our desks together in long tables. Everyone at my table helped out one day and we came up with this idea that we were all super heroes and we all had a name that we made up. Looking back on it now they were all pretty lame names lol but we were 10 so what do you expect? I wrote a book off that called "8 of a kind" since there were 8 of us. It later became "10 of a kind" cause my best friend wanted to be in it and this guy I had a crush on wanted to be in it too. My name was Kitty Girl because I liked cats not because of Cat Woman, but if you didn't know that it would seem I tried to copy. In the first story I remember we went and fought Super Mario and Koopa Troops haha I love thinking back on this story because no matter how corny it was I'm so proud for writing it and I sometimes think of seriously bringing it back, with some much needed corrections of course :)

After that I think I only wrote Harry Potter fanfiction, which many people did like. After high school though I stopped writing fanfics and started working on my own stuff, none of which I ever finished. The only one I did finish was my version of Little Red Riding Hood I wrote for my creative writing class.

16. lovely

lovely New Member

I was five. We had a story competition in my Kindergarten. After that I kept writing until I was about 10, and I quit for a while. When I was 15 I started again at random times, and I really started making it a focus in my life when I was 18. I've been writing as much as possibly ever since.

17. MSHendrie

MSHendrie New Member

Maybe about 17-18, when I took a writing class in High School teacher made us write a prose first hour of every class - the class was 3 hours. Always loved reading but now I've taken to writing in a big bad way!

18. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I was in 4th grade, and I owe it all to my fantastic 4th grade teacher. :D

19. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

I was ten years old. I wrote story collaborations with a boy named Marcus in my fifth grade class. We never spoke again once that year ended (different schools), but it was fun and I continued writing.

Although I must admit I cringe upon seeing things I've written that aren't from this year. :rolleyes:

20. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

The first story I was proud of was in second grade. A paper on my Grandma's apple pie.

I've been hooked for the past six years since I was seven. I've sucked, but I've been writing! :D

Finished a novella last year!

21. I'interieur de ame

I'interieur de ame Banned

I was about seven when I started to write full storys and I let my imagination go into farout places and worlds. I have been writing since.

22. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I guess I started writing for fun around 12, 13. I started after I wanted to write the story of my character from an MMORPG. Not really exciting.

23. Largeman

Largeman New Member

I started writing in grade 7, so I was 13? I wasn't enjoying my school life so much around then so I made stories about fictitious, triumphant, pre-teen character that I actually admired. But I really got inspired, and proud of, what other called, “My gift”, after I wrote my grandmother’s eulogy in grade 8.

When I got to high school I sort of forgot about writing and got really into music. But I still wrote my own lyrics.

I was reintroduced to writing when I got to grade 10. We were to write a 1000 word, short story for English. Mine was horribly graphic and depressing, but I got a 98%. My classmates loved it. They even made copies and handed them out to their friends. After that I kind of became a known legend around my school as the writer. That, essentially, is when I picked up my pen again, so to speak.

I'm currently in the twelfth grade.