1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Lars Von Trier..

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Nov 13, 2019.

Recently, I've been watching new films and while skimming through Netflix, I saw Nymphomaniac. I was interested in the first one and realized there was a Volume 2 film so I saw that one as well. I was really impressed by the film and how I was completely shocked and depressed by the film's ending. It was realistic on a personal level to me.

I later picked up Melancholia and The House That Jack Built which were also powerful films that put me in a depression temporarily.

What are your thoughts on Lars?

I read that he has been disliked for certain reasons but after seeing his films, I'm impressed by his realism and sense of impending doom he brings to his films. Also, what I thought was interesting is that the female character in Melsncholia is supposed to be a representation of him. I guess, he tries to make films about himself and the layers of his mentality.

Ink Well likes this.
  2. Pixit

Pixit Member

I relatively recently watched The House That Jack Built, I think it was a bit too much for me. It wouldn't have been earlier in my life, and I think I'd still enjoy watching Dogville, but I am unsure about the purpose of going that deep into the mind of a main character. Not saying we all don't have some disturbed features in our subconsciousness but it felt like staring too long into the abyss.

Ink Well likes this.
  3. Ink Well

Ink Well New Member

I really enjoyed Melancholia. Thought it was beautifully done, very tragic and depressing though. Haven't seen anything else from him yet.

I like that he focused on one character in particular and her immediate family so intensly during it.

I would be interested in others by him, but think I could only handle one or two a year, as it took quite awhile to get over that one.