1. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Mystic Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Rassidan, Aug 11, 2011.

Alright so I am working on chapter one of my story and am having a rough time trying to get the narration down. The issue I am running into is the character is a mystic and sees the general flow of the world energies and I am having trouble trying to describe things from this perspective.

Now what I have read plenty of fantasy books but I don't think I have ever read a book with a view point similar to this. So my question is have any of you ever seen a book with a good description of how a mystic views the world, from their point of view.

2. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

The beginning of Clive Barker's Book of Blood

3. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

I will check out the Books of Blood but I think I may have made a slight error in what I am looking for when I mean mystic.

When I say mystic I am looking for a piece however long written from the perspective of one who can see the magical weavings of the world. I guess more of a new age sorta vibe to it. It is hard to explain exactly what I mean by this. Mystic may even be an incorrect term for what I am looking for as well.

4. beaver777

beaver777 New Member

Have you tried looking into actual mystical texts? Especially the ones concerning shamanism, like Carlos Castaneda, Michael Harner, Jan Fries (all very different from each other) etc. come to mind.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

I was trying to actually find something along those lines but I wasn't able to locate any of the actual writing myself. I was going to look further into it when I woke up today but now I have a list of writers to start my search with.

6. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

In the beginning, a character has a mystic experience and she sees spirit/magic stuff flowing through the world.

7. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Sounds interesting enough I just have to wait for it to come in before I can have a look but it sounds up the right alley by what you are describing

8. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

i am new age/holistic/spiritual whatever you choose to call it. :)

umm one book i know of which is a spiritual novel (fiction) but has many of the true insights of being holistic/spiritual is 'The Celestine Prophecy', it has many scenes where they describe and see the flow of energy all around them, this may be usefull to you. but you could also pick up many spiritual books which talk about energy and stuff like that.

do you mean energy just around the earth or from people too? if from people too maybe looking at reiki may help you a little. although energy is all the same wherever it is and comes from :)

9. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

Well mostly the energies that flow with nature itself. I didn't intend for this character to be to read the energies people conducted.

10. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

yep will this book does cover the flow of energy in nature between trees etc.

mainly 1/4 way in to it :)