1. R M

R M Member

A question about revealing the antagonist for a mystery

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by R M, May 27, 2020.

Hey guys, Im in the process of writing a mystery/psychological thriller novella and I read one this one website it says to both introduce the culprit in the beginning and at the end of the novel. I'm confused, do I reveal him/or her at the beginning or at the end of the novel?. If anyone could clarify this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day!

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Based on mysteries that I have read (more traditional whodunits, mostly), you need to introduce your antagonist in the beginning along with the other supporting characters, but you don't tell the reader who the antagonist is until the end. The reader will be continually wondering which of the characters to which they have been introduced so far is really the killer.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yes, this. In fact many whodunnits introduce the hidden antagonist as one of the 'good guys.' Somebody the detective knows.

4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

And in some of the more diabolical ones, the main character is actually the bad guy.

Steve Rivers and jannert like this.
  5. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

The best thing about psychological thrillers and mysteries - I mean a couple of the ones I read on the market - is that they make one of the best genres to introduce “twists” and other moments that the reader is completely not anticipating. I’d recommend that you read a few of these other books to help you out with a few ideas and a bit of a glimpse into what these authors are doing. One of these I read a few months ago was called “The Woman In The Window“ by A.J. Finn and that one is a contemporary book that is very Alfred Hitchcock inspired because a woman witnesses something about the people over at the house across by watching them through the window. And these books are rather nail-bitingly good. “The Family Upstairsby Lisa Jewel is another one of those psychological thrillers and the intrigue possibly grabs you right away from the synopsis. Here it is:
    ..So reading that you already want to know 1. Why are there three decomposing corpses? (what happened to them)
    2. What’s been written in the note? 3. Who has been looking after the baby? (you already read the family are dead inside this house).

The mystery is set from the get-go and already has you in suspense right away. So this is what a good thriller should be aspiring to do. 1. Establish something that would hold people in suspense 2. Keep them there 3. Introduce a couple twists that will knock them off their feet and alter their perception of a few of these characters. Or where they thought the story was heading.

If you have a good story, it doesn’t really matter where you introduce the culprit. But certainly work on maintaining the mystery.

I hope this helps somewhat.

6. acermapleb

acermapleb Member

One thing I talked about with a writing teacher once is that it is entirely possible that your reader might forget throwaway lines at the beginning of your novel, and you can use that to weave in things that are obvious later but difficult to pick up on for a first-time reader.

For instance, in my novel, the protagonist is a teenage girl whose father, unbeknownst to the girl (and the reader), is a serial killer. The father and daughter share the same last name. The father's full name, first and last, is used just once: in the very first sentence of the book! But the girl's last name isn't revealed for at least 100 pages. By that time, most everyone has let the father's name slip out of their minds, because it's never mentioned again and seems unimportant. And so the mystery to the reader is preserved.

I'm not saying you have to do this, I'm just saying that if you give away key information in subtle ways, it might not be immediately picked up on. This might be what the website was alluding to. I suppose it's something to consider!

dbesim, in their post just above mine, seems to have some really good advice too!

Best of luck!

Steve Rivers and jannert like this.
  7. jannert

Oh yes. The unreliable narrator! I read one of those a while back, and it has certainly stuck with me. Eeeekks.

8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Or if you're Columbo, reveal the antagonist and the solution to the mystery at the start.

9. jannert

There can be a problem with that approach, however, if the writer isn't careful. The reader is going to need to remember the father's last name for the shock to register later on. Otherwise the girl will reveal her name, and the connection won't register!

It's not enough to just 'mention' something that seems trivial early on. It's actually got to stick with the reader. So make sure you introduce the father's last name in a way that seems significant at the time ...for the wrong reasons, of course. :)

Steve Rivers likes this.
  10. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

This is the same construction as a joke where you say "Did you ever hear the one about Johnnie's mom?"

At this point you pull out some change, or better yet ask them if they have a penny, a nickel, a dime, maybe a quarter, whatever (hope I can remember this, it's been a LOoONG time!) This is a pause to help them forget the intro. Make a big production out of it, because at all costs you want them to forget that first line, which sounds like the standard joke intro anyway, like "A guy walks into a bar..."

You then push around the coins as you name the various brothers and sisters, one is Nick (point at the nickel) one is Penny etc. Maybe a sister's name is Diamond or something. You just make it kind of confusing, the actual joke can be different every time, but it ends with the question "So who was her first son?" and point at one of the coins (not sure I have this quite right) and they'll cleverly say "Nick!" or whatever.

Then you remind them that the joke was about Johnnie's mom... Groans go up all around.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  11. Naomasa298

As I was going to St. Ives,
    I met a man with seven wives.
    Each wife had seven sons.
    Each wife had seven sacks.
    Each sack had seven cats,
    Each cat had seven kittens.
    Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives,
    How many were there going to St. Ives?

12. Xoic

I know this one. Everybody forgets to add the I from the 1st sentence. Not going to do the math though...

13. Naomasa298

That's the wrong answer. :)

acermapleb and Xoic like this.
  14. acermapleb

acermapleb Member

Couple things.

The point wasn't for them to remember. The girl realizes it's her father at the very end, and the reader (theoretically) realizes at the same time. The reader is supposed to forget... it's just a tantalizing secret.

Now I'm stuck trying to justify it to myself. I suppose it's just fun--for rereaders, for people who flip back and forth with surprise, to have this secret at the beginning. To me it feels like a hidden treasure. But now I'm second-guessing it. Hmm.

Now you're making me rethink the entire opening!

I guess theoretically the point was more like Xoic's joke.

Also:

Is the answer that only the man was going to St. Ives? It doesn't actually say that his wives or their possessions were going along, just that the man had them. So only the man and the narrator were actually going?

The other one I've heard is the Bus Driver riddle. "You're driving a bus. At the first stop, six people get on. At the second stop, two get off and four get on. At the third stop... [and on and on and on] What's the bus driver's name?"

And then the ones that are deliberately confusing. ("What does S-H-O-P spell? What does P-R-O-P spell? What does C-R-O-P spell? What does D-R-O-P spell? What do you do at a green light?" or some other iteration)

Getting off-topic here, so I'll shut up now... but is that the right St. Ives answer?

15. Xoic

The only one you know for a fact is going to St. Ives is the narrator.

16. Naomasa298

Yes - the clue is "As I was going" - implying the speaker meets the others coming the other way. But most people will forget that trying to keep up with the maths.