1. Merley

Merley Member

Fantasy Insults

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Merley, May 24, 2019.

Hello

I'm in need of some fantasy insults, I need some and I have no idea what to use. Google isn't yeilding results and I need a good insult.

Thanks!

2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

You need to tell more. Insults use to hint to something that is or might be very personal and is or might be agains values and/or cognitive structures of insulted character and his/her/it's peers.

[negative personal content/associations] + [negative cultural content/associations] ==> insult

But if you want to build psychologically constant fantasy culture and different ways people behave there, then Mary Douglas: Purity and Danger might help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purity_and_Danger

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Alan Aspie likes this.
  4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Consider highlights of your culture. What does your society value? Today's culture in America has drifted away from attacks on parentage with a de-emphasis on family ("Your mother wears army boots" insulted the mother as lying down with soldiers). Likewise, more cultural diversity has made racial and ethnic slurs less popular, reflecting more on the person throwing the insult rather than the target. Scatological insults ("You piece of shit") haven't changed much, but religion-based insults hold less power for some, more power for others ("godless heathen", or "infidel dog"). Attitudes toward sex determine how much power to insult some insults carry ("fucking whore"), and others combine more than one value set ("bastard" or "son of a bitch" are both a sexual judgement and a parental attack).

5. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" Monty Python.

Dan McLeod, Matt E and badgerjelly like this.
  6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree with Cogito that it's necessary to consider the values of your fantasy society in order to devise the best curses. I once wrote a society that was very sex-positive and had no real religion, and it was hard to come up with swearwords that weren't either sex-shaming or sacrilegious! What would insult the characters in your world?

7. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Scab splitting puss licker
    Bumbling stone crotch
    Piss gazing belch sniffer
    Puerile ulcer
    Glass helmet
    Sullied fiction
    Long turd’s wish
    Rancid toe milk