1. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

Too many Plots.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Agent Vatani, Oct 24, 2010.

I have like a 100, plots. It's not even funny, they just came to me. I don't know what one to pick and what one not too. But that's not a problem, something I don't have enough characters or have too many. I love making characters and plots. I just don't know what one to pick. Like right now it's kind of "Vampire year." I have vampire plots but I have others too. The gene just switchs on me, I don't like that.

Some plots

Animal, fiction

Switched worlds, drama and action.

I can keep going on and on...

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I bet every writer in the world is in the same position. I have an ideas file that contains more ideas than I will ever be able to write even if I live to be 120. And new ones keep coming. It doesn't matter.

What matters is that whatever you work on, you write the best you can.

3. Manav

Manav New Member

From your post it seems like you have a long way to go before you will perfect your writing, have your own writing style, and things like that. As for instance your use of 'what' instead of 'which' in your post, you've got to learn those things. If you make such mistakes in your story nobody will bother reading any further. So, considering your level of writing, any one of your ideas is good for practice writing. Whatever you write just make sure you're not making any such mistakes.

4. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Get a notebook or a document and make a huge list of all ideas that comes to you and keep them there. You know you wont lose them and usually they will stop bugging you once you properly written them down and saved them.

5. Agent Vatani

I been writing for about 5 years, so my writing isn't and nor great.
    Once I did write down all my idea,I filled up 5 pages of a notebook. But with my plots, I like almost half way in a plot. I want to trash it or write a whole new story. I guess, I just get bored....

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Try to organize the plots. Some can be used as multiple subplots in the same story, others can be whole novels on their own, depending on complexity/similarity.

7. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Excellent suggestion. Also try to merge some of your plots/ideas. Who knows what possibilities you can create :D

8. Agent Vatani

Yes that is a good idea... I might try that out.:)

9. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I was going to suggest that. :p Subplots are important and give you a lot more enthusiasm for a story, since you can jump to a different one whenever you're getting bored of the main plot, yet still add to the story. :p

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

And subplots are usually crucial to the rest of the story. The protag's goal and struggles will be the main plotline, but you'll need stuff like antag motivations, character turning points and what causes them, etc. These things require subplots.

11. Agent Vatani

Hhmm... Here's a small way, I work with a plot.
    Sum: (A paragraph or two.)
    Characters:
    Main line:
    Main character:
    Gene:
    Others:
    I normally fill that out in my head, the rest just comes to me. Most of the time, I get a plot from a dream. Does anyone do that?

12. mummymunt

mummymunt New Member

I have two suggestions. One is to combine various ideas you've come up with, as you'll usually find that one idea can't be padded out to fill an entire novel.
    The second is to maybe start with short stories instead of novels. When I started writing years ago I just wasn't able to construct anything long or complex enough to call a novel, but short stories came prettily easily to me. These days it's the other way around.
    Also, and I think somebody else has already mentioned this, if your posts are anything like your actual writing style, then you have a lot of work to do. Your sentences don't read well, your use of English isn't great. I realise your posts may just be written very casually because this is only a forum, but you might also find that if your questions and comments are written more carefully, you'll get more helpful responses.

13. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I agree it is not funny - It is great. The time to worry is when you have no plot ideas.
    I think your problem is, one of focus. Prioritise. You'll need to decide on one plot and concentrate on that one and bring in subplots when needed. I know it can be difficult but, try not to let your other ideas distract you from what you are working on.

Not me.

At the moment I am mainly working on a full length play and a biography. I do have other stuff, at various stages of development, kicking around that I have had to put on a 'back burner' in order for me concentrate on my main projects.
    But, a hundred plot ideas - I should be so lucky.
    I don't have many problems with a main plot, it is the subplots that get me.